• 1 Post By Carter2409

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unique starter problem

My first post on the form here hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction. My truck is a 2000 crew cab 7.3 and I’m having problems with my starter. I build a hybrid starter taking the nose cone from the 7.3 and mating it to a 6.7 gear reduction starter. The starters are stupid simple to build and nose cone and gear protrusion when activated are identical.

The truck started fine for a while but when it has gotten cold I have problems. Truck spins and starts amazing, but the starter is staying partially engaged only when it’s cold. Just a chirp from the flywheel contacting the starter gear. It has to be below 30 and first start of the day(cold engine) Anytime after that fires up perfect. Also if the truck is plugged in I have no problems which is strange being it’s cold weather dependent.

So far I took the starter back out and rebuilt it inspecting it and added extra lube to some places. Replaced the started solenoid on the fender. I have auto start on the truck and it does it with or without using it. This let me exclude a sticky ignition not letting the key return to run position. I Tested the ignition wire at the fender for power being fed after start up and had no power. I’ve also jumped the fender relay and the problem still existed. The only electronics I haven’t replaced are the ignition switch in the steering column and solenoid on the starter it’s self. The starter was put in November of 19.

My last ditch thoughts before junking the starter is to double check the solenoid trigger wire on the starter for power after start up. I’m just confused why temperature is causing this problem. Also I’m going to use a blow dryer and heat just the starter up slightly to see if that makes a difference. If not it’s getting pulled and a denso will go in. If anyone can help I’d be super appreciative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Garage
Checking voltage on the solenoid power wire is a good idea -- soon as you release the key the power should stop

I have seen solenoid cores bind up in cold weather -- did you pull the core and clean it off? (and bore)?
also any grease on the sliding parts needs to be light enough to not bind up in cold weather

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn’t add too much grease just a touch here and there. I never pulled the solenoid from the starter itself. It functioned fine when I inspected it but I was in a warm shop.

I’m thinking if I warm the solenoid it would be a quick way to determine or rule out the starter being the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Easy enough to pull the solenoid and clean the plunger
was the starter new or used?
def sounds like binding of the engage mechanism

tho don't rule out back feed or a ground loop situation
adding a light to the solenoid trigger wire would let you know if power dropped immediately or just tapered off

General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I won’t I’ll get under there and pull the solenoid out and check that. Thanks for the help
Hydro likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2020, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A nice brisk 19 this morning. Climbed under the truck with my test light and used both the auto start and my girlfriend assistant to start the truck. Both times the trigger wire to the starter cut power immediately with the starter shutting off and the starter chirp was there. Grabbed the heat gun and warmed the starter to lukewarm fired her up and no starter chirping.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2020, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

Garage
By "chirp" are you talking about the gears grinding or a dry motor bearing? Entirely different sounds

A vid would be nice

General note:
post #8 of 8 Old 01-23-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It’s noise from the starter gear grinding on the flex plate. I don’t have one now but I might be able to take one tomorrow morning

Last edited by Carter2409; 01-23-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in