Would spin but not fire with temps in mid-30's. Where to look first? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 12-02-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would spin but not fire with temps in mid-30's. Where to look first?

I just recently completed a 9000 mile vacation and the truck ran great until I got to WY and the nights were in the mid-30's. The engine would spin, there was a little white smoke from the exhaust but no firing. The camper next to me in Thayne suggested that I plug in the block heater. When I found the block heater coiled cord it appeared to have never been used before (I have only had it for 4 years). After about a half hour I tried again and this time it eventually came to life but was rough for a couple of miles even after leaving the campground. From then on I plugged in the block every night until I got to AZ and never had another problem.

Since I had a pragmatic solution I didn't worry about troubleshooting it on the road. Now that I am back home where do I start? I am thinking that the heater in the base of the fuel filter may have failed. All of the glowplugs seemed to have resistance. It is a Cali truck so it has a Glowplug controller and not the relay. What else should I be looking for?

2003 7.3L PSD F250 2WD Crewcab Longbed
DIY coolant filter, ATS Stage 2 4R100 trans, DIY inline transfilter and 6.0 trans cooler
4.11 gears and Eaton 915A550 Truetrac
Tried Flex-A-Lite model 272 dual electric fans and they caused overheating due to insufficient airflow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
The heater in the filter housing can short out and is usually not necessary -- I would disconnect the harness

Likely the glow plug relay is the problem -- use a test light and look for power on the passenger side(battery +), and nothing on the driver side(to glow plug)

then, key on and check again -- should be power on both sides -- talking about the large posts

You can disconnect the harness near the valve cover and measure resistance(ohms) in the outermost connections to check individual glow plugs

The small posts on the GPR -- one is 12 with key on and the other is Ground from the controller

you should hear the relay click if you key on, but not start the engine -- it will click on and off a few times

The light on the dash means nothing as far as the glow plug operation -- it is only a "comfort" light

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hydro For This Useful Post:
jasgeer (12-02-2019)
post #3 of 33 Old 12-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Aannd ...I read too fast and missed the Cali controller part -- ignore the relay testing in my previous post

Pull the black and green plugs off the controller and look at the terminals for burning -- you can pop the inner cover off to see the terminals better

Should look like the picture below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPMCDiagram_1479669492492.png
Views:	34
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	725671  

General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
jasgeer (12-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 12-02-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the wiring diagram! I had pulled the connectors and verified that all 8 glow plugs had low resistance but I didn't know the wiring for the other pins. I'll check them out. Do the Controllers have a history of failing?

DIY coolant filter, ATS Stage 2 4R100 trans, DIY inline transfilter and 6.0 trans cooler
Tried Flex-A-Lite model 272 dual electric fans and they caused overheating due to insufficient airflow
post #5 of 33 Old 12-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Garage
the controller usually is pretty robust, but the connections are the weak part

Also there are the connections at the passenger side battery and fusible links leading to the controller

Not sure on your model, but on later models the controller gives codes if there is a problem

General note:
jasgeer (12-02-2019)
post #6 of 33 Old 12-02-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mine is the 2003 F250 and there were no codes which tripped the CEL. I was struck at how sensitive it is to temperature. I found it would start at 40 degrees but just spin at 5 degrees less. I was able to repeat it in Utah on a day I didn't need to get going early so I had left the block heater off.

post #7 of 33 Old 12-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Thinking you may not be getting power to the controller -- it needs the generate a code

The truck should start down to 20F with the glow plugs alone

Found the vid

General note:
jasgeer (12-02-2019)
post #8 of 33 Old 12-02-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for sending the video and stating that the glow plugs alone will start the engine down to ~20 degrees. Perhaps you are correct that no power to the Controller prevents codes. I'll check the wiring and fusible links.

post #9 of 33 Old 12-02-2019, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Garage
Another thought - were you using any type of fuel anti-gel?

I ask because I was in Oregon in winter (20) once without any. It took me a while to get the truck to start...and...stay running. Noisy as heck and a bit rough running for a bit. The next time I went there in winter (15-20), I added Power Service Diesel Kleen in the white bottle BEFORE I got into the cold. The next morning, it fired right up. Still noisy, but ran great. In both cases, I was not using the block heater. The first time, I didn't know I had one. (Hadn't had the truck that long and where I live, it doesn't get THAT cold. The second time, I didn't have access to a plug.
Hydro likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 -
-
- 'Gator Navy
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperCrutyPS For This Useful Post:
jasgeer (12-03-2019)
post #10 of 33 Old 12-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Plus 1 on the Power Service White -- those paraffin crystals can start forming above freezing temps, and once started they are difficult to get rid of , until the fuel is warmed up

I have had fuel that could be scooped up with my hands -- should have used Power Service

General note:
The Following User Says Thank You to Hydro For This Useful Post:
jasgeer (12-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode