Welp my oil cooler is leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Welp my oil cooler is leaking

Been mighty cold these last few days and on cold morning starts my oil cooler has began to leak and then stops after it warms up, need to get it fixed before "winter" does finally settle in, I reckon my first question is will it be ok to drive it for a couple of days? Any risk of coolant and oil mixing? And as far as the repair goes does any one have any advice or tips on doing this repair? I seen the video that diesel tech Ron has where he just removes the rear header and leaves the front in and seems to easily get it back together, almost to easy If you ask me lol, is this a good way to do it? The gasket on the front is not leaking, just the o ring, got all new Ford parts waiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-14-2019, 04:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did mine a few months ago. If you live in a rust area buy new pieces oem ford not aftermarket may not be worth trying to just replace the o rings etc. I would also grab some extra coolant and oil. Its not too hard but kind of messy. I'll admit I spent more time then I needed but I almost broke one of the tabs off that's used to pry against to separate the two tube pieces. Again buy motorcraft oem o rings. napa, autozone, o'riley have been known to fail sooner then later, same with injector o ring kits.

Regarding driving around its just me but I would park,drain and get everything prepped a few days before parts arrive if ordered online but I am ocd and have the good fortune of not needing the truck for daily driving. I watched the video and did not remove the front piece and no issues. use lots of Vaseline on the o rings and lube it good it can be a PITA to slide the two tube pieces together.

go ahead and laugh "for the pervs watching this like a hawk lol.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Mine started dumping a good amount of oil too (due to cold weather I guess). I have the O'Reilly kit but I believe I'll return it and go oem Ford. Thanks for that info. What is the link to this Ron Diesel Tech video?
I was thinking it'd be better to remove the inner fender well. Luckily I have a auto lift. Bringing it up to eye ball level would be better than hanging over the fender for a while. Plus I need to do some serious cleanup now.

02 F350 CC 7.3 PS, auto, 6x6, 4.10 gears LB. AFE stage 2 intake, 4" AFE SS exh, 6.0 atf cooler, DP tuner with five stages
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eng Temp gauge, EGT guage and Trans temp gauge. J.Woods valve body ATS turbo housing. Cooling sys filter & waterless coolant. NON WORKING POS FASS fuel filter sys. Brightbox headlites. I don't care what they say "There's no replacement for displacement."
Don't believe statements about anything being better than a 7.3
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

Last edited by Bart_3500; 11-15-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 AM

I hope the Ford kit is worth it!!! $150 vs O'Reilly's $9

02 F350 CC 7.3 PS, auto, 6x6, 4.10 gears LB. AFE stage 2 intake, 4" AFE SS exh, 6.0 atf cooler, DP tuner with five stages
Eng Temp gauge, EGT guage and Trans temp gauge. J.Woods valve body ATS turbo housing. Cooling sys filter & waterless coolant. NON WORKING POS FASS fuel filter sys. Brightbox headlites. I don't care what they say "There's no replacement for displacement."
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 06:49 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_3500 View Post
I hope the Ford kit is worth it!!! $150 vs O'Reilly's $9
You can order the o ring kit for less then $80 from riffraff diesel. Clay owns it and has been in the 7.3 business a long time

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustinOOO9 For This Useful Post:
Bart_3500 (11-16-2019)
post #6 of 8 Old 11-16-2019, 04:14 PM

Since I already had the O'Rielly kit, and it was made by Fel-Pro I went ahead and used it. The R&R was pretty easy. Put the cooler in a pipe vise and gently tapped one end off. The outer "O" rings was so hard and painted green I thought it was a metal/rubber seal. Several cracks in that "O" ring didn't help the sealing either. Lots of Vaseline and cleaned all the parts. I warmed the ends to about 250* and used a long clamp to gently reassemble first one end and then the other. It went back in just as easy and it came out. Tomorrow I'm going to put the Evans waterless coolant back in after I replace the coolant filter. Also working on installing the new AIS air filter box.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 11-19-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got it tore down last Friday and put back together, wasn't to difficult, but no way was Ron's way going to work, after have a rather interesting time trying to get the rear header back on and eventually having to use a press I went ahead and removed the front header and pressed it back on and installed it as a single unit, used lots of lucus assembly lube in both headers and on O-rings, everything seems fine as far as the oil and coolant neither are contaminating each other, the only issue I see is that the front header has just a drop of oil on it when I look at it daily, and it appears to be the assembly lube that I used, got a green tent to it, definitely not coolant because I use red ELC, and it's real think and sticky, doesn't appear to be making it's way down to the ground, as I have parked it on pavement and never see a spot, any ideas?
post #8 of 8 Old 12-10-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
You can order the o ring kit for less then $80 from riffraff diesel. Clay owns it and has been in the 7.3 business a long time
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Powerstroke&Allis426 View Post
Got it tore down last Friday and put back together, wasn't to difficult, but no way was Ron's way going to work, after have a rather interesting time trying to get the rear header back on and eventually having to use a press I went ahead and removed the front header and pressed it back on and installed it as a single unit, used lots of lucus assembly lube in both headers and on O-rings, everything seems fine as far as the oil and coolant neither are contaminating each other, the only issue I see is that the front header has just a drop of oil on it when I look at it daily, and it appears to be the assembly lube that I used, got a green tent to it, definitely not coolant because I use red ELC, and it's real think and sticky, doesn't appear to be making it's way down to the ground, as I have parked it on pavement and never see a spot, any ideas?
When I did mine, I heated each end to around 250* in the oven and used a large "C" clamp used to hold wood together while glue dries. The clamp screw just moved first one end in place then I repeated the process with the other end.

I'm going to contact Riffraff and get another kit. So far mine is holding but I didn't like the round end "O" rings compared to the flat green "O" rings. I just don't trust the O'Reilly's kit.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode