• 1 Post By JustinOOO9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 poor mpg, runs rough when cold

So I picked up a 2000 F-350 with the 7.3 with 180k miles. It wasn’t running when I got it so I had my mechanic go through and fix whatever it needed using all motorcraft parts which was

-valve cover gaskets and harnesses
-injector pump
-HPOP
-starter
-batteries
-evaporator
-fuel filters
-5 injectors
-icp sensor

Right now whenever I start the truck after it’s been sitting overnight it runs really rough unless I let idle for about 10 mins. Feels like a noticeable misfire and if you try to drive it there’s virtually no power until the turbo spoils around 2500rpm. Also smells like it’s dumping a lot of fuel at idle and gets about 9mpg. It runs fine after it warms up but still feels like it’s lacking low end power for a diesel. Towing my 6,000lb boat I definitely can tell it’s back there. I’m pretty sure the truck has a banks chip/tune with intake and 4” exhaust. Any ideas? Mechanic said he double checked all injectors and they’re good. Was thinking CPS sensor next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by magRT496 View Post
So I picked up a 2000 F-350 with the 7.3 with 180k miles. It wasnít running when I got it so I had my mechanic go through and fix whatever it needed using all motorcraft parts which was

-valve cover gaskets and harnesses
-injector pump Fuel pump or injection pressure regulator (IPR) or low pressure oil pump or? These trucks don't have "injector pump???
-HPOP
-starter
-batteries
-evaporator
-fuel filters These trucks only have ONE fuel filter if its the stock set up so what did the invoice say?
-5 injectors Why only 5 injectors what was their reasoning and what brad/where did the come from?
-icp sensor

Right now whenever I start the truck after itís been sitting overnight it runs really rough unless I let idle for about 10 mins. Feels like a noticeable misfire and if you try to drive it thereís virtually no power until the turbo spoils around 2500rpm. Also smells like itís dumping a lot of fuel at idle and gets about 9mpg. It runs fine after it warms up but still feels like itís lacking low end power for a diesel. Towing my 6,000lb boat I definitely can tell itís back there. Iím pretty sure the truck has a banks chip/tune with intake and 4Ē exhaust. Any ideas? Mechanic said he double checked all injectors and theyíre good. Was thinking CPS sensor next?
See my questions/input in red.

The truck may run a little rough when its working air out of the hpop system but usually in less than a day its gone. How long since the work? Also get proof its all motocraft because the truck should be running top notch with the new parts. Common for people to get told by mechanics they were oem motocraft but they were really OEM EQUIVILENT AKA parts store junk esp regarding dorman.

Usually bad cps is random no starts/dieing etc. The noticeable misfire could be one of the UVCH connections not seated/clipped all the way on one or more injectors etc.
7.3lf550 likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #3 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
To add on to what @JustinOOO9 said, the 5 injectors makes no sense to me. How did he "test" them? You could very well have an injector stuck and just pouring fuel into a cylinder. Once the truck warms up, the other 7 cylinders pick up the slack and it becomes less noticeable.

03 7.3l 550, FRx, 6637 mod, 4 inch turbo back, ccv delete, aih delete, HPx, Riffraffs OCR, Turbo-pyro-boost-coolant EV2 gauges, Bullydog GT tuner.

03 X 6.0 175/30 warren sticks, Livewire TS w/ warren tunes, Blue spring mod, atlas 40 ficm, 270amp dc power alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
goats lives matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-21-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow totally forgot I made this post until I dug through my email.

So the mechanic is a close personal friend who is doing me a favor, I didn’t get an actual invoice because he did it on the side and charged me cost on parts. He’s one of the best in the area and works on a lot of these trucks so I trust his work.

Also all parts are confirmed motorcraft.

That being said he’s not the most technical guy so some of the notes he made on parts aren’t very specific, I just wrote them down as he listed them.

-“Filters” I’m sure was a typo on my end.
-And I’m pretty sure he meant IPR.

But I do agree with all these new parts the truck should run perfect. The 5 injectors also confused me, I’m thinking he was trying to save me some money by only replacing the ones that didn’t work but with 180k miles I wish he would have just done all 8. So sounds like you guys are saying it probably an injector issue? He didn’t specify how he tested the injectors, I assume there is a normal method but he’s not exactly a specific power stroke mechanic so there may be something he missed.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-21-2019, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
You didn't mention it in any of your posts, but I gotta ask, did he do a compression check on all 8 cylinders? Also, I changed out my EBPS and tube which helped out my fuel mileage by an average of about 1.5 MPG; I didn't see that listed at all in your list. My truck had 196K on it at the time of the swap. When you pull the tube out you'll know if its plugged or restricted.

2002 F-250 (gray on black)
1990 Bronco II
1994 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode