Critical levels of Boron and Potassium in oil sample, report attached. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By PDR60
  • 3 Post By john galt
  • 2 Post By JustinOOO9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Critical levels of Boron and Potassium in oil sample, report attached.

Hi everyone, another issue with my truck lol. I sent an oil sample to Schaeffers and the report said I have critical levels of Boron and Potassium in my oil. From my research, this suggests that I have a slight antifreeze leak, and that is what the report says too. The test did come back negative for Glycol, so the water must be getting burnt off. I was running Archoil ar9100 and Moly E.P. additives, but I don't think they would cause these issues. The truck is a 2002 F-250 and it has 220,000 miles on it so I'm not sure if I want to keep putting money into it. Really just looking for everyone's thoughts on this and I have a couple of questions. The report is attached.

1. I had a new water pump installed a few months ago, could this be the cause?
1. Could my rough idle after warmup be related to this?
2. Is it worth having the front cover replaced if that turns out to be the cause?

As far as water goes, I have not added any since the new pump was put on a few months ago but it does look like it may be about a half to one gallon low now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil report 2.png
Views:	20
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	724159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil report 3.png
Views:	17
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	724161  

Last edited by Buddylee; 10-16-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Until you narrow down the source of the water, you won't be able to determine the cost. It could come from any multitude of sources. Could be an oil cooler, head gasket, front cover, etc. Is the oil cooler leaking oil on the block? Is antifreeze weeping from anywhere on the front cover? Are you blowing any smoke? We need to narrow down the source.
ZMANN and Buddylee like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 F350 CC 7.3 5-SPD
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I need to get it on a lift. I crawled under it last night and couldn't see anything. I just filled it up and it only took about a cup to get it to the max fill line, and it's been about four months since the water pump was changed. It's either a really slow leak or they got some water in the oil while changing the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 AM
california deplorable

Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
actually archoil and molly would cause those issues remember the main ingredients in archoil is nano borrate and phosphorus.
run to oil changes out with reg oil and resend if you are worried.
typically if you tell them the additives you run they will asses accordingly
zsargent, JustinOOO9 and Buddylee like this.

I like mead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

early 04 f350 6.0 cclb lariat sr
Bulletproof oil &egr, elc, sct x3, edge CTS, afe intake, blue spring, t-500, MTW stage 2, Vivians looney, 305 x55x20 bfg at ko's, 4 inch cat back, 4"BDS fox shocks and steering stabilizer, tri pilar gauge set, coolant filter, riff raff boots, new headliner, 7 inch touch screen w/back up, new carpet, near whole new interior,

FederalOwnershipRespectfullyDeclined

post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I thought about that and I think I forgot to tell them that the additives were in the oil. I will keep an eye on the coolant and sample the oil the next time I change it.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 01:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee View Post
I thought about that and I think I forgot to tell them that the additives were in the oil. I will keep an eye on the coolant and sample the oil the next time I change it.
Do an oil change without any additives next time and send a sample in. Front cover and headgaskets are EXTREAMLY rare on the 99-03 7.3l, You would have oil/coolant mixing if it was the oil cooler and or injector o rings. Adding multiple additives is causing the out of spec reading im 99%.
john galt and Buddylee like this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #7 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

That's my plan. I will report back with the results after I get them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode