Washed my engine now got problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-20-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Washed my engine now got problems

Washed my 7.3 with some purple power and a garden hose, covered the alternator, air filter and power steering pump, took it for a drive to dry things off and started and ran fine for about 10 minutes and then it had a hard miss with a check engine light and died, didn't want to restart, when it did it would miss and hesitate and then die again, finally got it to run long enough to get it home, let it set for a bit and then tried it again this time I took it a shop about 20 minutes away with no issue to have the codes ran and it died while attempting to do so, the codes said there was a issue with the CPS sensor so I replaced the CPS with a motorcraft replacement and all seemed well untill attempting to drive it home again after driving it from the shop to my farm with no issues it missed hard again and hesitated and again the check engine light came on on, made it home died pulling into drive way.going to run the codes again tommorow? But any ideas until then? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,743 Posts
Mentioned: 675 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
funy I washed my tv and had problems also ;-)

old connectors lose their ability to seal out water I would bet it will clear up in a day or so

if your in a hurry i would have a air gun / some wire dryer and start checking connectors

did you really wash your inner fender ?

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-20-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
funy I washed my tv and had problems also 😉

old connectors lose their ability to seal out water I would bet it will clear up in a day or so

if your in a hurry i would have a air gun / some wire dryer and start checking connectors

did you really wash your inner fender ?

Lol na didn't wash the inner fender just the top and front of motor with a garden hose, never will do that again 🙄
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,743 Posts
Mentioned: 675 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
my 6.0 will run funny if i just use a low pressure garden hose to rinse off the motor

the TV comment was from a line from a mechanic "would you wash your tv?" " NO" "then don't wash your motor it has about the same amount of electronics"

imagine what you could do with a high pressure washer ha

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Left Coast Geek Send a message via MSN to Left Coast Geek Send a message via Yahoo to Left Coast Geek
purple power is way too aggressive of a degreaser, it will strip paint and damage insulation.

at most I use foaming gunk, and I'm careful not to spray it on electrical stuff, just the block.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-20-2019, 08:46 PM
DieselDC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
I don’t know how you guys do it but I wash my engine with purple power and that’s what I recommend others to do as well and each time I do wash it good with a garden hose, everything works out just fine. To add salt to injury, I don’t cover anything.

What the OP did that I don’t ever do is wash the front of the engine where them accessories and serpentine belts at.

I would not touch my 6.0 with a garden hose though - it’s got to be done by hand with one them gallon sprayers + purple power. When the 6.0 runs good, leave her be. Replace worn boots and wiring harnesses and that’s all I really do.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...
post #7 of 13 Old 07-21-2019, 09:06 AM
Brrrrrrr......cccccold

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
I wash my engine with Simple Green couple times a year. I don't cover anything and I use my garden hose with my nozzle on high stream. I've never had an issue.
I don't like to use gunk or purple power. they both strip finishes off boots and the goodies I have under the hood. simple green does the job and is better for the environment anyways. Plus I can buy it at Costco for next to nothing. I use it full strength.

Zach

07 F250 KR FX4 CCSB, Dark Copper Metallic/AZ Beige, Rotella T6
6000K HIDs, Zoodad, Fog mod/High Idle, Tinted, Rancho 9000s, Banks CAI,
Blue Spring, NUC/Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter
Z36 slotted/drilled rotors, Carbon Ceramic brake pads,
Warren 175/stock, Atlas 40, Fleetrite ELC, ScangaugeII

168,084 miles....

Air Force Veteran......Go Blue!

Support Our Troops - Remember Our Veterans!
post #8 of 13 Old 07-21-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I was not able to read the codes today but found that the icp plug was missing the rubber gasket thing for the pigtale no water in the plug or sensor that I could tell however. tried using wd40 and electric cleaner with compressed air to blow out the icp, ipr, and CPS plugs and it still nearly left me setting, it would start with a hard miss and kick the check engine light on and then kinda act like it was starving for fuel and eventually die, or at times it would just die with no notice and was difficult to get restarted. Anyways I had a icp sensor and pigtale that I had for another truck and went ahead and replaced it, then drove it for about 20 minutes with no issue. Again going to try and get the codes ran tommorow, but any ideas would be appreciated.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-22-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still had the issue this morning, got a po344 and po340 codes, both indicate a issue with the CPS, so today took the plug of the pcm and did a continuity check with the pigtale on the CPS, checked out fine, however I did see some moisture in the pcm connector, used a blow dryer to try to dry it up, also went ahead and put a Ford cps a gray one. Had a black one with a purple oring before. And a new Ford pigtale as the old one seemed to fit lose, especially in comparison to this new one. Drove it home with no issues but who knows. Try again tomorrow.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
code readers

Just curious, what are you guys useing to read codes. all I got is a ScanGauge2 and that doesn't work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode