7.3 Runs good with a load on but rough as hell at idle!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Runs good with a load on but rough as hell at idle!!

Hey folks,

First let me introduce my 7.3. It has a garret 38 turbo. Fresh set of injectors along with the module for the injectors, glow plugs, rebuilt tranny a aftermarket waste gate and a blow off. Along with a cold air intake and several other small things. It is lifted on 35s and turns like a turd with no spacers.

Alright now lets get down to the nitty gritty. Most days when my truck starts It starts up fine and idles beautifully with no sound at the intake and nothing out of the exhaust. But after it warms up and i start driving for a bit then brake at a light or let off to slow down or even park it. It begins to idle rougher than anything you have ever heard. It sounds terrible. Everyone who obviously doesn't know what they are talking about says, "damn that thing sounds good" only because it sounds like it has a rough lope to it. You should know due to the cold air. There is a what i have been told is a AIT sensor hanging down by the wheel well. I would love it if someone could help me out to get this thing running right. I just put a upgraded and rebuilt tranny into it and am scared that the problem with the lope is going to damage the tranny.

P.S. It could be something with the throttle as when i am driving and let off and get back in it it feels and sounds like it is delayed and hitting real hard.

Any reasonable correction would be helpful.

Thanks, Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2019, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hi Adam, you stated a fresh set of Injectors. Stock injectors are a split shot, however many aftermarket performance are single shots. This causes the timing to be off and requires custom tuning to fix. IMO the best tuning is the Hydra Chip with Gearhead, Jelibuilt or another reputable tuner. I like Gearhead because yes it's a conservative tune so you won't break your stuff, they're very responsive in their emails && they offer free lifetime revisions so if you further upgrade your vehicle you can always get a revision.

If you did not go with single shots have you driven it for an extended period of time? When injectors are put in air is introduced into the system and they will run rough until the air is bled out. (Which should affect it whether you're pulling a load or not)

Your symptoms sound like you're running single shots on split shot tuning.

P.S a rough idle shouldn't damage your trans. Especially if it's the single shot injectors.

'02 F-250 7.3
180/80% Stage 2 Full Force Injectors
S&B Intake
Hydra running Gearhead Tunes
5" Straight Pipe
Bellowed Up-Pipes
Bilstein 5160 Resi's
Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer
etc, etc
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have you any smoke other then COOOOOAAAAALLLLL out the Fun Pipe?
White smoke billowing out like a ghost 40' trailer behind you when you start up or randomly is loose injectors.
White smoke like a Cigar is injectors. BTW don't eat just one go to Riff Raff or any other reputable dealer where quality met affordability theu had a baby and my God do not look at it fully hideous! They do have good stuff decent prices.
White smoke like a cigarette is Turbo seals usually due to the ol PCV to the back of the bus trick. The outside of seals need love too! Could be lack of maintenance!!!
You seem like a good person so in no way would you not be using at the very least a synthetic blend? So couldnt be oil qaulity or soot filled turning black right away after a loving Crankcase and HPOP oil change?

Last edited by DieselChopper73; 09-12-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Attaching Vudea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,112 Times in 2,020 Posts
Mentioned: 428 Post(s)
Quoted: 3121 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
OP hasnt returned and probably wont.

GD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okey doke!
Any reason why my attachments do not seem to upload?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode