No start, electrical issues, need help. Please review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 06-17-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start, electrical issues, need help. Please review

Hello fellow members,

This is my first post here, however I'm no stranger to forums and their etiquette. I've been searching for weeks so please dont refer me to that. So with that out of the way, allow me to acquaint you with the situation.

The truck is a 99.5 f350 xl. Has an intake, exhaust, new factory turbo, bullydog gt (that is currently uninstalled).

The issue: while driving the vehicle cut out. No stumble, just shut off like you turned the key off. Then no start. This was a month ago.

Since then I have replaced the IPR, fuel filter, CPS, IDM and batteries.

Monitoring with forscan, I have been able to verify proper oil pressure (2800 psi) @ 45% duty cycle. Proper VREF voltage of 5v. As well as an rpm signal. I can see a demanded pulse width of 3.5ms, but they do not seem to be firing. As there is no smoke or smell out of the exhaust. A buzz test has been performed 5 times and tested great each time with no codes. Fuel pressure has also been verified as well as the pump operating as well. The inertia kill switch has also been tested. So seemingly at an end I whipped out the volt meter and started getting some interesting readings.

While ohming out the harness and injectors starting at the idm plug I found high resistance on injectors 2 &7. So I disconnected the UVCH plugs and retested to confirm the issue is in the valve cover, which it did. However while testing the left bank injector power supply,pin #23, I found resistance between the IDM power supply, pin26, and the injector ground shield,pin 18.

So i removed the 42 pin connection and retested between there and the idm plug with the same issue. I have searched high and low through that harness and all the plug connections for shorts or chaffing to no avail.

Am I missing something? Is there another direction to take? Any explanation to the resistance between pins that should be infinitely open?

At no point through all of this did the truck make the slightest inclination of starting.

Please help me revive this old beast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-17-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The only DTC that I have reoccurring consistently is the p1670.
post #3 of 28 Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow this forum is dead.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
does the glow plug light check out when turning the key

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ITS STOCK
post #6 of 28 Old 06-21-2019, 05:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBad151 View Post
Wow this forum is dead.
Hehehe....

Well,,, for me, you've just done such a thorough job of covering the the obvious problems that might be doing this to you. With all the stuff you've replaced nothing stands out as the next logical thing to look into. But, I'll dive in to try to help.

Let's talk about your ForScan results. While Cranking, what are the ICP (certainly not 2800) psi, IPR %, RPM, and Voltage?

There are No Codes? If you had connection issues between the IDM and the Injectors, there would be codes (plus, this engine will start on 4clys, so it's more than a coupla injectors not firing). After doing your Buzz Test, do any new coders appear? (that's the way the IDM does a self-test of the entire system, during the buzz)

The wires you're Ohming out, they show a Higher Resistance than they should? (not Lower like a shorted/grounded wire would).

Anytime there are no codes and a serious problem, I first go to Fuel Delivery (no sensors to set a no fuel code). Think down that road. Verify again that you have a full bowl, good pressure, and that the fuel itself looks good.

Finally, since you've covered so much of the details, make sure your Engine Oil is good, Air Filter, and nobody stuck a Potato in your exhaust

I mean, it only takes Fuel - Air - Compression. What's missing???
post #7 of 28 Old 06-22-2019, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello, thank you for the compliment.

The actual reading of the icp in the forscan app is 15,554.3 is. The IPR percentage is the duty cycle I was referencing earlier, it is 45%. The wait to start light is functioning, but I checked the fuses anyway,which are fine. I also removed the fuse panels to inspect the wire connections on the bottom for issues. Found 1 or 2 unrelated problems and took care of them.

I havent checked my tailpipe for a potato, but was giving the ebpv some thought. Opinions?

I have emptied and refilled the fuel bowl several times to ensure pressure. Though I havent put a gauge on yet, I rarely confident in the pressure to the bowl. From there to the Injectors is unverified however.

I know I'm just grasping at straws here, and willing to try anything. But given how the truck initially died, and the lack of a pulse width. I believe it will turn out to be something electronically related.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-22-2019, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Btw the ohm readings for the cylinders are 12 for #2, 4.5 for #7. I managed to resolve resistance present in the left bank power feed and the grounds. I just have to tidy up the harness properly.

I have yet another factory cps to install, and am going to pop the valve covers off to see if the solenoids are bad or if the wiring is to blame.

Also,it is definitely a lack of fuel in cylinder issue. As I turned it over with ether and she kicked right up. Yes glow plugs were disconnected.

Like I mentioned previously, I'm seeing no pulse width, so I believe the pcm is preventing the injectors from firing for some reason. Atleast, it sure seems that way. Yayyyyy this is funnn.
post #9 of 28 Old 06-22-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Btw the only recurring code is P1670.
post #10 of 28 Old 06-22-2019, 05:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No sure what to make of those readings....

Your IPR% is WAY TOO HIGH (should start at 14% and not rise above 25 while trying to Start)

Your ICP is WAY TOO HIGH (not possible to make 15K psi)

Make sure ForScan is properly configured and that the ICP is reading PSI. But that 45% is an indication that the PCM isn't satisfied with the ICP pressure so it's commanding a high % to make more (that % is the amount of time the PCM wants the IPR Closed during it's cycle - but because there's no feedback from the IPR it's only what the PCM wants it to do, a bad IPR might not be responding) - Somethings going on with your HiPres Oil though.

Fuel in the bowl can't make pressure by itself, if you can, I would want to confirm that there was actually pressure there (especially if the 1670 is gone)

You're made repairs to the IDM/UVCH wires - does the 1670 come back again after an Erase? Here's a link to some diagnoses -> http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=20705

Before you change the CPS, do me a favor and give me the 4 readings I asked for (rpm will verify CPS function) but get that ICP format fixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode