Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

motor died

636 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JustinOOO9 
#1 ·
on my way home doing about 40 mph and the engine just quit
its showing a 2121 code any ideas i know it probably has to do with fuel
its a 2002 7.3 turbo with 276,000 miles and the only thing i did to the motor is glow pluggs last year

#2 ·
OK so first, not "2121" I think....

Could this have been a 1211 or even a 1212 maybe?

Check your Oil Level?

What is it you're using to retrieve codes? Can you see cranking RPM with it to know your CPS is OK? Rescan, WRITE DOWN any codes you find, ERASE, try to start and see if any return.

It cranks OK and you've got over 1/4 tank of fuel?

Did you check the plug and sheet metal nut going to the IPR? That nut can vibrate off and allow the solenoid going over the valve to slide around. The wires going to the IPR can get brittle, crack, and short together. Make sure the plug & wires look in good shape.

Do this Only after reading codes and retesting for the return of any. You can unplug the ICP sensor, as a Test, so the PCM sets a default value for the IPR to run on (expect this to set a new "Low ICP" code, don't let that misdirect you after a scan).

#4 ·
Look on google and see where your ICP and IPR sensor is. I would unplug the ICP and see if it starts. The ICP relays oil pressure info to the pcm and the IPR technicaly allows more or less pressure from the hpop. If its sticking open the oil system will never bleed enough pressure. If the wires are nasty it could be shorting out/not relaying/reading correctly.

I actually replaced my icp couple years ago and my ipr died maybe six months ago. I would recommend checking the wire connectors very carefully. most of the time they are nasty and degraded from oil/heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.