LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
not sure whats going on

I have an 03 250 7.3 and at certain times(ive noticed when i hit a bump) i lose my throttle. The truck stays running and my CEL and water in fuel light come on. If I let off the throttle and get back on it it works properly. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what should i look for/at and what are possible fixes? Emptied the filter reservoir and replaced the filter and it still does it. It is very spuratic, no other reason i can tell other than maybe hitting a bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Having the same issue I'm currently going through with my 01. It started with just dropping to idle and now it's stalling every now and then. Before throwing too many parts at it, look into an OBDII Scanner if you don't already have one. I did the BAFX bluetooth one and have Torque and FORScan.

Anyway, mine's throwing a P0340 CMP Circuit Fault. That code seems to show up inconsistently though. I'll clear it and re-scan for codes and it may or may not pop up. Even after it stalls out.
Everything I've found points to the Camshaft Position Sensor. It's super easy to replace. Unfortunately, I replaced mine and it still did it. I'm looking at replacing the pigtail today if I can get one.

The reason I say get a scan tool is because I originally searched my symptoms and everything pointed to the Idle Validation Switch (IVS) and/or the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS). Unfortunately I spent about $200 on a new OEM gas pedal assembly (All sensors are built into it) for nothing. However, I do have a new pedal assembly!

Keep us updated, and I'll keep you updated as well. Good luck!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 06:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First thing to do is to check the OD sw wire for signs of chafing.

Read thru this for good instructions on getting to it -> https://b7445ba3-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changed the pigtail for the CMP sensor. Didn't help.

pulled the steering wheel column apart. My OD wires were completely cut. Only thing holding the harness in one piece was the heat shrink. I repaired the wires and re-installed. It still appears to have not helped.

My next step is to remove my hydra. None of this started until a little after putting it on. We'll see what happens.

tobytyler, have you made any headway on yours?
post #5 of 5 Old 05-26-2019, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update:

I removed the Hydra and PCM. Cleaned up the connector where the Hydra goes. I put the PCM back in without the Hydra in case the chip was the issue. I ran to town real quick to see if it helped out. No issues at all. I came home and changed the programs on my Hydra to match the actual HEX code on my PCM. HydraFlash told me to use VRAA6S3 even though my actual HEX is VRAA7S6 (or something like that). I reprogrammed and put the chip back in. I think I only really lost the "fuel sipper" tune which I really didn't use.

Drove the truck to work and back. About 25 miles each way.

I'm not holding my breath, but so far so good.

It looks like my chip connector wasn't clean or it got wiggled around and would intermittently lose connection.

If you have a chip, it's worth a try. From now on, I'll remove mine before I do any troubleshooting. It would have saved me about $300 throwing parts at this. At least I have a spare CMP Sensor and Accelerator Pedal Assembly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode