Long crank time before starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-06-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long crank time before starting

I've had my engine out and I replaced the heads due to holes that rotted in the exhaust ports (posted on another thread). The truck runs now, but I haven't driven it yet. I still have no coolant in it as my new radiator will arrive today. I've started it several times and let it run for perhaps a minute. It seems to run well, but every time I start it it takes quite a bit of cranking before the High pressure oil makes enough pressure to start it. I'm watching the pressure on the Torque Android app.

What do you think? Perhaps I still have air in the system? How long would it take to push out the air? Is there something I should check?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-06-2019, 09:25 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would wait to start/drive again until you fill the coolant system. Most likely there is air in the system but it can takes a good while for air to work out of the hpop system. It can take a few days to work out all the air so I would just wait and see how it does after a couple of days driving time etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin

Last edited by JustinOOO9; 05-06-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-06-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
I would wait to start/drive again until you fill the coolant system. Most likely there is air in the system but it can takes a good while for air to work out of the hpop system. It can take a few days to work out all the air so I would just wait and see how it does after a couple of days driving time etc.
That's what I was thinking/hoping. Radiator arrived today, but I still need to blead out the brakes. I replaced all of the brake lines with Stainless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode