Heads replaced, now it won't start - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 Old 04-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Get some motorcraft o-rings and try that. The alliant o-rings are the outlier here.

Last edited by ars5147; 04-27-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 04-27-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ars5147 View Post
Get some motorcraft o-rings and try that. The alliant o-rings are the outlier here.
The O-Rings sure seem like the likely suspect. I just ordered Motorcraft o rings from Tasca parts, but the injectors are alliant, alliant is the OEM. regardless of the brand I think it's worth swapping them out, even though they seem fine.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Garage
You could try the orings one at a time for fit in the injector bore, should be some "feel" at the injector is placed in the bore. Using one injector with only one ring in place -- to help figure which ring is not holding

Could also measure the injector groove diameter to see is there is a variation and the thickness of a few of the rings.

Really never have a problem with orings unless one is cut or the wrong size. With new heads I would suspect a sharp edge on one of the bores, removing the sliver of one of the rings, a close inspection would be in order to keep from repeating.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 04-27-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_F View Post
The O-Rings sure seem like the likely suspect. I just ordered Motorcraft o rings from Tasca parts, but the injectors are alliant, alliant is the OEM. regardless of the brand I think it's worth swapping them out, even though they seem fine.
I've learned my lesson with a non Motorcraft oil cooler and oil cooler orings on my 7.3. I didn't know that Alliant is OEM.

I typed it earlier but deleted it, but what I was gonna say is button it up and soak a rag in gas and wrap it around the air filter and fire it off. That will get a 7.3 with a HPO leak fired up most of the time.

It's one of those things that you do at your own risk though. And most will recommend not doing things like this just like most wont recommend starting fluid. You decide.

Obviously wont solve a HPO leak though, just get you started when you're in a bind.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-28-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I'm chasing a problem based on the clue that pressurizing the HP oil port with shop air I hear air leaking. Does anyone know for sure that this is even a valid test? It seems to me that this system should be air tight, but I'm guessing.

Thanks!
post #16 of 19 Old 04-29-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Found the problem! It was electrical! I reversed the EBP and IPR wires, they are both 2 pin and take the have the same plug. I found it by hot wiring the IPR valve as I learned from a Diesel Tech Ron video and all of the sudden I had plenty of pressure. Obviously my test of pressurizing the HP Oil port with air is not a valid test.
Buddylee likes this.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-30-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Problem appears to be solved, the root cause for sure was the wiring issue I mentioned. My mistake of course. This pressure test still is bugging me though. I still want to know where the leak is. Perhaps there is a drain port in the head that is a designed leak? Or perhaps I have still have a problem. The truck is still half apart and I'm trying to decide if I should put it back together or keep chasing this potential problem. Does anyone know how this head is ported? Could here be a plug that was missed or is there a drain port? If the problem in the injector o-rings, then the oil would either come up into the head, or down into the fuel correct? I haven't really checked my fuel yet. The truck does run with little if any smoke and runs decent, but it does take more cranking to start it than I remember in the past.

One more item of concern. In all of the confusion I mixed up the injectors. One of the injectors is marked LL which I learned from another Diesel Tech Ron video means Long Lead, but I don't know what this means to me. What is long about the long lead and can this be part of the problem?

Thanks
post #18 of 19 Old 04-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Because the firing order has #8 firing immediately after #6 (located next to each other) causes a bit of starvation that the LL injector (#8) solves.

Could that hiss be coming from air passing into the HPOP reservoir overflow tube and into the crankcase?
post #19 of 19 Old 04-30-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Because the firing order has #8 firing immediately after #6 (located next to each other) causes a bit of starvation that the LL injector (#8) solves.

Could that hiss be coming from air passing into the HPOP reservoir overflow tube and into the crankcase?
Yes NoRalPh, I just spoke with Clay from RiffRaff diesel and he told me that unless I command the IPR closed or plug it, that the air will back feed through the pump. I'm convinced this is the issue and that it's no issue. I can put the rest of the truck back together now with confidence.

Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode