• 1 Post By JustinOOO9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 stalls and we are out of ideas

Hi everyone, really hoping someone here can help because we are running out of ideas. We have a 2002 F-250 with the 7.3 and for the last couple of years it has had an issue where it would randomly die or stall. The dash lights donít lose power and if you are driving down the road when it happens it wonít die completely because it has some momentum and it such a short loss of power, if idling it will die completely. We have changed the cam sensor a few times because thatís always the code that comes up when it decides to give us one, but this has not solved the problem. We have also just changed the IPR valve and the ICP sensor and did new harnesses with them but it still does it. It was a problem that only happened about once a month but now it happens every day which makes it not drivable. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OEM CPS it was a common issue to the oint many 7.3ls owners carried one in the glow box. crawl under the truck and look for a wire going to the front of the block by the cam pulley and you'll see a little sensor that you use a 10mm wratchet to remove.

Did you also check the harness connector/wires for the IPR? also PLEASE Please say you used oem motorcraft for the icp and ipr? many people suffer the headache of numerous aftermarket brand sensors etc.

link for cps from reputable source and great customer service:
https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/motor...sor-cps-94-03/

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #3 of 10 Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
What is it you're using to scan for codes with? Without the right scanner, and the proper library for both Diesel Specific and Ford Propriety codes, you might be missing something (a generic scanner may not recognize things like IDM codes).

Happening everyday is actually a blessing, hard to know you're on the right track with a once-a-month problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the replies. We have changed the CPS, IPR, ICP, and harnesses related to them, except for the CPS harness. We used OEM parts from Ford on everything. The codes have been read by two mechanics, one who only works on Powerstrokes, and when they can get a code it says CPS fault, but that's been changed a few time.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 06:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Garage
**" except for the CPS harness."**

Maybe, just maybe the terminals in that connector are the problem in the first place. The parts cannon has been fired a few times already. The computer system is telling where the problem lies, but replacing the sensor is only going part way, without testing the circuit and visually checking the terminals and harness.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I thought about that but they said they wiggled the heck out of it and nothing happened. I think I will just change it to make sure. Can someone provide a link to one online that I can buy? Thanks
post #7 of 10 Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dropping the truck off at the mechanics today. He is going to put a new pigtail on the CPS and overlay new wires directly into the receiver. Also going to get a new fuel pressure regulator and spring installed. I will update if this fixes the issue.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had the truck back for a few days now and it's running great. Not sure if it was the new pigtail connector with new wires ran into the PCM that fixed it or if the new fuel pressure regulator fixed it, but I'm betting it was the wiring. Thanks for the feedback, it will be my daily driver so I will probably be back on here lol.
Hydro likes this.

Last edited by Buddylee; 04-15-2019 at 07:11 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Garage
Glad it was resolved and thanks for letting us know. Others will be able to search this in the future and learn now too. Lord knows I've got a few threads on here too hahaha.
Buddylee likes this.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #10 of 10 Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hope it helps someone. The weird thing is that the problem couldn't be reproduced by wiggling the wires or connector and it was tried by a couple of people a few times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in