Long crank to start - low HPOP oil level - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-22-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long crank to start - low HPOP oil level

I'm looking for help on what to do next to fix this.

2001 Ford Excursion

The Problem
Long crank on cold first start.
No start when hot, now I must wait at least 1.5-2 hours to start it again with a long crank.
Has died while slowing down when exiting the highway twice, first time was able to get it started with a long crank.

No engine oil in fuel bowl
HPOP oil level gets low when sitting - not running
first check of HPOP oil level was about 2 inches from the top and not being started for 3-4 days
second check of HPOP oil level was over 3 inches from the top after not being driven for a week.

ICP replaced with new Motorcraft ICP sensor
IPR replaced with new Motorcraft IPR
New cam sensor installed, fairly sure it was a Motorcraft part, but I can get it started, so I believe the cam sensor is working.

I've pulled the valve cover off on the passenger side and there is no oil spurting from the injectors that would indicate a bad injector o-ring.
Tested the glow plugs and they all had less than 1.5-2 ohms (none were open and none were shorted)
I only got the fuel pressure code when the ICP was unplugged, which made no difference.
Cranking speed is fast with a charged battery, but it has to crank for much longer than before.
Voltage is also good enough, I have a wheeled cart-style battery charger that keeps it charged very well.
I have not found any burnt or melted wires.
The attached pic was my first attempt at using FORScan, I may not know how to get the most out if it, but I appreciate the people of this board pointing me to it.

Main red flags so far are:
A. the long crank (acts like it needs to build pressure to start) and
B. the HPOP oil level that drops over time

Questions:
1. would replacing the HPOP fix the issues of the HPOP oil level dropping?
2. I know it could also be the "anti-drainback valve". where is that located? / How is it accessed?
3. what other things should I check?

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-31-2018 oscilloscope - big.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	708125  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You don't give your mileage, specifically the mileage on the injectors. A good test you can make is to plug the "block heater" (really an Oil heater) in for 2-3hrs before you try a cold start. If it starts much faster, and you have high mileage injectors (<200K) you've probably found your problem.

Next, a new HPOP would be pretty far down my list. The drain back valve is more likely but, while losing that much oil from the reservoir isn't good, it might not be your problem. Even if 2" down (which is only 1" lower that it should be) the LPOP should make up the difference pretty quickly and not add a tremendous amount of additional cranking time.

If I read your graph right (that ms time is kinda weird) it looks like your pressures are up quickly...

Good info on starting issues from tired injectors -> http://www.swampsdiesel.com/files/7....Diagnostic.pdf
post #3 of 3 Old 09-25-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the followup, the engine has 250k on it, the injectors were supposedly replaced within the last 15k.

I say supposedly because I have no way of knowing if they were. I was living out of the country while my Dad had some work done on the truck and the place that did the work is now out of business. Dad said he was told they were replaced.

But they may have lied since when I pulled the passenger side valve cover, and I look at the top of the injectors, the two back injectors match each other but the two front injectors are different, they don't match each other and don't match the two back injectors.

I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hpop oil , long crank , low hpop oil , no hot start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode