Faint Blue Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 06-17-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Faint Blue Smoke

I just bought a 2000 7.3l yesterday knowing that it needed work, the original owner said he had it offroad and it started smoking and parked it. i test drove it and it puts out some blue smoke but pretty faint. i am not new to the 7.3 diesels but am still learning, i can post pictures and videos since i know that'll help you guys but im not sure when i can get that since i dont have it parked where i live. Here is what ive done so far

1. took the oil cap off and put it upside down and it seemed like it just vibrated off the filler tube with the smoke coming out in a small solid cloud and not puffing and dissipating fairly quickly.

2. doesnt seem to have a lack of power on acceleration puts out a small blue cloud that dissipates pretty quick but hard to tell cause it puts out quite a bit of black smoke, which it supposedly doesnt have a chip but it does have new injectors a couple years old that im not sure if theyre stock or bigger.

3. wife followed me home and said it smells like a burnt charcoal smell when i accelerated also said it puffed out some white smoke anytime i accelerated but dissapated fairly quick

4. two things i found is a gasoline oil bottle in the engine bay not sure what weight it is as most of the label is gone so could that be it if he used engine oil? also the air filter is really dirty and im pretty sure he unfortunately bought a washable k&n filter that will be replaced with the tymar filter not sure if that'd cause it as well.

5. my old neighbor thats helped me before said that it could be caused by the motor not getting up to normal operating temp. which it ran about midway between the start of the normal temp and the middle of normal, not sure if that is a normal range for this year of these motors

6. the turbo has no shaft play but i noticed the compressor wheel had a black coating on it in the center also when i took off the top of the air filter housing it had smoke coming out of it from the turbo

7. last not sure if itll help but the oil pressure gauge assuming its not a dummy gauge like my 96 showed that it was above half way on the gauge reading the entire way home

thanks for any help guys i do appreciate the advise i get on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-02-2018, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry to bump an old thread but doesn't seem like OP got much attention.

Typically in my experience

Blue smoke = burning oil
Black smoke = partially burnt fuel
White smoke = raw fuel

Now you mentioned an oil bottle In the engine bay. If it isn't the proper weight it could be causing oil to get past the rings which would cause the blue smoke.

Honestly I would take it to a diesel shop that specializes in ford, the truck will need to have several tests done to it to zero in on the problems. I could try to guide you but by the time you get the issue fixed without diagnostic equipment you would've probably paid more than the labor to diagnose.

'02 F-250 7.3
180/80% Stage 2 Full Force Injectors
S&B Intake
Hydra running Gearhead Tunes
5" Straight Pipe
Bellowed Up-Pipes
Bilstein 5160 Resi's
Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer
etc, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode