Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ICP sensor symptoms but not leaking?

30K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  gomer pyle 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have all the symptoms of a bad ICP sensor - lugging idle, stalling at stop signs, etc. But when I pull the plug on it, it doesn't show signs of leaking. I thought the oil leaking through the sensor is what usually causes the problems.

Am I wrong? Should I go ahead and replace the sensor? I was surprised at the cost of it is the only reason I'm hesitant to replace it, although the stealership is $100 LESS than Napa! :thumb:

#2 ·
First, only use a Motorcraft sensor in Any case! (after market sensors can be problematic)

Next, I'm not sure you can say your symptoms could Only be caused by a bad ICP (they can not leak and still be bad though). The only way to know is to scan for codes and monitor sensor readings. EVERYBODY should have the ability to do this with todays low-cost options -> http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...n/1044057-ford-superduty-diagnosis-cheap.html

In the mean time you could simply unplug the ICP and see if you get a sudden improvement (the PCM will set a default value for this sensor Alone) BUT know that this will certainly set a code when you do (don't get misdirected by it later when you scan it).

We need special sw to scan our trucks so you can't just go to the Parts Store for a scan :(

#4 ·
First, only use a Motorcraft sensor in Any case! (after market sensors can be problematic)

Next, I'm not sure you can say your symptoms could Only be caused by a bad ICP (they can not leak and still be bad though). The only way to know is to scan for codes and monitor sensor readings. EVERYBODY should have the ability to do this with todays low-cost options.

In the mean time you could simply unplug the ICP and see if you get a sudden improvement (the PCM will set a default value for this sensor Alone) BUT know that this will certainly set a code when you do (don't get misdirected by it later when you scan it).

I just had issue with my ICP. What NoRalPh said, with engine running pull the pigtail and see if the motor idle improves. If you have access to a scanner that will let you view the live data watch the Injector Control Pressure after unplugging, PCM will go to default ICP of around 700 if it isn't receiving from ICP sensor. At idle should be at about 500 if sensor is functioning properly.

I wouldn't say your issue is necessarily ICP and its definitely not a cheap part to just try.

The fact that it only is happening when it rains makes me think you may have something different going on.

During some of the research I did with my issue, I ran across some good info.

There's a common leak on the 99's windshield on drivers side that can allow moisture to get on the PCM, GEM, and fusebox. Notice any moisture on drivers side on floorboard?

Some people report that aftermarket CPS can get interference from wipers. Or short on wiring for wipers can cause it. Try wipers in dry weather and see if it does it or put some rainx on windshield and test drive without using wipers.

I would also check the wiring harness and contacts on CPS, ICP, and IPR. Sounds like moisture from wet road conditions or perhaps windshield getting to pcm or sensor wiring.

#3 ·
Yea, I have the torque app and that bluetooth reader. First time I had stalling issues, it said CPS. I swapped it with a Napa (won't use Orielly's or Autozone) and it never stalled on me anymore until recently when it started raining again. I'm not getting any codes now at all though. It only stalls on me rarely (and when it rains).

#5 ·
The interference from the wipers has been brought up and documented on many sites. What CPS are you running?

#6 ·
Well like I said, I won't run Orielly's or Autozone... But after tonight - apparently Napa isn't any better! I finally got a code again tonight. It was CPS!

I guess I didn't read all the information correctly the first time. I'll be running up to Ford tomorrow morning when they open for a new Cam Position Sensor!

#7 ·
Not sure what the dealer charges. You can buy the newest motorcraft revised CPS online on various sites for around 25$. They work wonderfully. I bought two and the first one is still working after 3 years now. Motorcraft # F4TZ12K073C

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.