BF Goodrich All Terrain TA tires and toe-in - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-07-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA tires and toe-in

Today I had the OE steering gearbox replaced with a Red Head gearbox. As expected all of the slop in the steering is now gone. However two issues are now present and I believe they are due to toe-in and steering wheel alignment.

When driving straight down the road the steering wheel is about 3 to 4 degrees off center as if you're turning right. That I would attribute to the shop just not setting the tie rod ends properly.

The other is it's now real sensitive to any steering input, actually the steering takes a little effort to make a turn which I attribute to toe-in not being correct. Previously the Total Toe setting was -0.98 degrees (about -.49 per side). It is now -0.10 degrees (about .05 per side). I believe spec is +-.25 degrees.

Also previously even though I had slop in the steering wheel I didn't have to apply force to start a turn or force to come out of a turn. Now it's like the steering wheel needs constant pressure to keep going where you want to go.

So the question is do the All Terrain TA tires require a slightly different Toe-In setting? I plan on taking the truck back this Friday to get them to correct the steering wheel alignment and it would be nice to know if the toe-in should be adjusted. As it is I'm not at all happy with the current amount of input from the driver required to keep the vehicle going in the right direction.

Thoughs?!

Thanks,

Brad
2001 F250 SuperDuty 7.3 4x4 quad cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Left Coast Geek Send a message via MSN to Left Coast Geek Send a message via Yahoo to Left Coast Geek
i have fairly new (4000 miles or so?) KO2's in the stock size on my 2002 F250 4x4 XLT and it drives straight and true, handles very nicely, and does great offroad.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-08-2019, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek View Post
i have fairly new (4000 miles or so?) KO2's in the stock size on my 2002 F250 4x4 XLT and it drives straight and true, handles very nicely, and does great offroad.

Thanks for the info. Out of curiosity would you happen to know what your toe-in specs are at?

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-08-2019, 08:19 AM

Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,737 Posts
Mentioned: 671 Post(s)
Quoted: 3857 Post(s)
i think it may be your box is giving you the input issues
and the steering wheel center issue is not the tie rod end adjustment ( thats just toe ) but just a simple drag link adjustment

sometimes it takes a few tries to get a steering dead center under real world driving so doing it yourself is easier than trips back to a shop IMO

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-08-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
i think it may be your box is giving you the input issues
and the steering wheel center issue is not the tie rod end adjustment ( thats just toe ) but just a simple drag link adjustment

sometimes it takes a few tries to get a steering dead center under real world driving so doing it yourself is easier than trips back to a shop IMO
When you say the box is causing the problem do you mean the box is faulty or is the problem due to the drag link?

I'm no steering expert and I thought to center the steering wheel you adjusted the tie rod ends. I.e. turn each tie rod end an equal amount in the same direction to move the wheel.

I have an appointment Friday morning for them to take a look at it. I really need this fixed before next week as I'm taking an 1800 mile trip!

Thanks,

Brad
post #6 of 15 Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 AM

i have seen a few redhead boxes need a return trip ( atleast call them and discuss )
although these should be bench set if the sector screw is to tight what your feeling can be an indicator

what other parts did you change ? if none and this is a new problem it points to the box IMO

you should have an adjuster to center the wheel ( seen in the image red arrow at drag link adjuster ) and having the pitman arm straight ahead while driving straight is also required for proper steering feel

JustinOOO9 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-08-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with Red-Head about the steering input issue. After discussion with them the best description for the problem is it's not returning to center after letting go of the steering wheel.

They have directed me to turn the adjusting screw 3/4 turn ccw. The tech rep said it's 99% certain this is what the problem is. So when I get home this evening I'll make the adjustment and go for a test drive.

As far as the steering wheel being off center, as suggested previously, that's an alignment issue and I should be able to get that corrected tomorrow morning.

Brad
post #8 of 15 Old 08-08-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
i have seen a few redhead boxes need a return trip ( atleast call them and discuss )
although these should be bench set if the sector screw is to tight what your feeling can be an indicator

what other parts did you change ? if none and this is a new problem it points to the box IMO

you should have an adjuster to center the wheel ( seen in the image red arrow at drag link adjuster ) and having the pitman arm straight ahead while driving straight is also required for proper steering feel

Just saw this post. You posted while I was on the phone with Red-had.

No other parts were changed in the gearbox replacement other than hoses. Everything else is nice and tight.

Looking at the diagram I now see why the tie rod ends can't be the issue. I'm used to vehicles with steering racks where an adjustable tie rod connects to the steering arm on the wheel spindle.

Hopefully the adjusting screw change on the gearbox will solve the return to center issue.

Thanks!

Brad
post #9 of 15 Old 08-08-2019, 09:50 AM

for others reading
that screw is only adjusted by experts or under the direction of redhead in this case

you can kill yourself or /and others if you screw up and the steering binds
for this situation ( going counterclockwise only and making sure the adjuster does not turn with the lock nut should be safe and not cause any bind)

( disclaimer )

let us know how it goes

6.0 flush pdf

Last edited by ZMANN; 08-08-2019 at 09:54 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-08-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
for others reading
that screw is only adjusted by experts or under the direction of redhead in this case

you can kill yourself or /and others if you screw up and the steering binds
for this situation ( going counterclockwise only and making sure the adjuster does not turn with the lock nut should be safe and not cause any bind)

( disclaimer )

let us know how it goes
"steering binds" is another good way of describing the symptoms I'm experiencing. I was kinda surprised when he said he's 99% sure this is what my problem is. Leads me to believe it's something they've obviously dealt with before in their rebuilds.

He did ask for the color of stripe that is painted on the gearbox, not sure what that's for but I'll check on that this evening as well.

Thanks,

Brad
ZMANN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in