95 7.3 popping and smoke from exhaust problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 7.3 popping and smoke from exhaust problem

Hey guys I have this 95 7.3 and need some Help the miles are unknown. Previous owner swapped it to a manual without changing the computer. Not that it probably matters just throwing it out there It recently started popping out of the exhaust and smoking as it pops not a steady smoke it's like a puff puff delay. I thought it was the turbo changed that no change. Checked fuel bowl for oil it doesn't have any. Cleaned ipr and it seemed to run ok for a min then acted up again. Changed injector harnesses no different. I don't have a clue what's wrong with this truck it's driving me crazy and broke. This was almost a over night thing. Any help would be greatly Appreciated! I am almost starting to think the idm is bad? Or ipr? I attached a video link of what it's doing thanks in advance

95 7.3 powerstroke exhaust popping & smoke problem - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
If you have THOROUGHLY inspected the entire UVCH and you think it's good, I bet you have a bad injector. If you have the resources, run buzz and contribution tests. Poor man's (also bulletproof test)? Pull the valve covers off one at a time and run it. Carefully unplug/replug each injector one at a time. I bet you find one that does not make it run any worse while it's unplugged.

Having said that, I have no idea if an auto PCM running a manual trans could cause that instantly and/or over time. Hoping someone else will chime in.

No offence man but where did you get the idea that a new turbo would fix that????
post #3 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
If you have THOROUGHLY inspected the entire UVCH and you think it's good, I bet you have a bad injector. If you have the resources, run buzz and contribution tests. Poor man's (also bulletproof test)? Pull the valve covers off one at a time and run it. Carefully unplug/replug each injector one at a time. I bet you find one that does not make it run any worse while it's unplugged.

Having said that, I have no idea if an auto PCM running a manual trans could cause that instantly and/or over time. Hoping someone else will chime in.

No offence man but where did you get the idea that a new turbo would fix that????

I am going to pull the valve covers off again and check the continuity on the gaskets here shortly. And I have already unplugged each injector one by one while it's running each one makes a slight change. Sorry didn't mention that. I can always do it again. Also have ran the buzz test it's just hard for me to get ahold of the 10k snap on scanner cause I have to borrow it.. It passed the buzz test when I did it last week. I wasn't planning on changing the turbo but the pedestal o-rings were bad so I changed them and the turbo cracked when taking it apart don't ask!! But anyways here is a video of what the fuel pressure is doing I don't know if this is normal or not.

http://youtu.be/u2vSaBkPzn4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 10:52 AM

Ohhhh ok. Did you try a new CPS? Not likely but you never know.

I would address the computer issue before you throw anymore parts/money at it. Do you have access to a manual PCM that you can try?
post #5 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
Ohhhh ok. Did you try a new CPS? Not likely but you never know.

I would address the computer issue before you throw anymore parts/money at it. Do you have access to a manual PCM that you can try?
No unfortunately I don't have a manual pcm for it. Did you see what the fuel pressure is doing? It's almost like it's going with the popping and smoke? Should it be steady or erratic like that?
post #6 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Nice fade in the second video! The fuel pressure fluctuation is totally normal; you'll see that with any mechanical fuel pump. I reckon it's in sync with the puffing smoke only because the pump cycles with every rotation of the cam (every two engine rotations), and whatever's causing the smoke is probably one cylinder, which fires every two engine rotations.

PCM issue seems doubtful to me. Seen lots of threads about manual swaps, retaining the automatic PCM, and besides a lope on startup, no issues. Besides, the swap was done... how long ago? And this is just recently happening? Gotta be something else. See if you can get your hands on that Snap-On again, and get 'er warmed up and do a cylinder contribution test.

And for the sake of all that is good and right in the world, find one of those little "fig leaf" panels and cover up that PRND21 on your dash !
The Following User Says Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
twisted7 (09-26-2014)
post #7 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Nice fade in the second video! The fuel pressure fluctuation is totally normal; you'll see that with any mechanical fuel pump. I reckon it's in sync with the puffing smoke only because the pump cycles with every rotation of the cam (every two engine rotations), and whatever's causing the smoke is probably one cylinder, which fires every two engine rotations.

PCM issue seems doubtful to me. Seen lots of threads about manual swaps, retaining the automatic PCM, and besides a lope on startup, no issues. Besides, the swap was done... how long ago? And this is just recently happening? Gotta be something else. See if you can get your hands on that Snap-On again, and get 'er warmed up and do a cylinder contribution test.

And for the sake of all that is good and right in the world, find one of those little "fig leaf" panels and cover up that PRND21 on your dash !
haha thanks about the fade i just got the iphone 6 plus and did it on that, i love this phone i just hope i dont bend it in half!!!

the trans swap was done long before i have owned the truck so your right its probably not an issue.

if i come across a panel to cover up to PRND12 I WILL COVER IT!!!

im just trying to get this problem fixed so i can sell this truck before something else happens!!!!!!!!

do you think the IDM could be causing this?
post #8 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 PM

There you have it, wasn't sure on the PCM swap. Still not to say that your PCM might have taken a dump though...

IDMs usually just quit but they can cause stuff like this too.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJFLASH For This Useful Post:
twisted7 (09-26-2014)
post #9 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
^^^^^ +1 on the IDM; they're usually a go or no-go. Or at best, they'll shut down a whole bank. Not an absolute, but the buzz test pretty-much gives the IDM a passing grade.
The Following User Says Thank You to madpogue For This Useful Post:
twisted7 (09-26-2014)
post #10 of 16 Old 09-26-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay thanks guys! I don't know what to try next. Maybe I will just take it to a local shop called turbo diesel and see what they can do for it without cutting off an arm and leg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode