1997 F-250 Automatic - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-26-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 F-250 Automatic

This is my first problem with my truck that I am asking someone out there for help.
Had trouble with the tranny going from gear to gear with no reason. Tried different suggestions, than went out and changed the PCM. Things worked great, at least I thought the complete problem was solved. But now after driving it at night I noticed that when ever I pull the headlight switch out to turn the the headlights on, the torque convertor slips out and I don't know what gear I am in (4th?), but my RPM's go up 300RPM on my tach. It does this when the running lights are pulled out on the headlight switch even before I pull the switch all the way out for the headlamps. So I figured it's something the the headlight wiring. I pulled the bracket from the headlight switch and with the Key on, but the headlight switch off I have power to 4 of the smaller wires and one large wire going to the switch. Once I pulled the headlight switch out as if turning the headlights on with the running lights, all the wires to the switch are live. Is this the way it should be or should one of them be ground?
If I can not figure this out can any one tell me where the power and ground comes from for the overdrive? Could I at some point in the harness replace the wires to give it a new source of power and ground so that what ever is causing this problem be bypassed?
If it matter at all the ABS light has been on and has been on and off for quite some time before the tranny starting acting up.
Would this be enough information for any suggestions to this problem that I am having?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-27-2020, 03:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Are any of the tail lights burnt out?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2020, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Transmission

No, The taillights are not out or never were, At one point, I did not not have any tailights at all since there was no power coming back there for some reason. If it was cut or corroded some how. I don't know. I found the "Hot" wire by the bumper and spliced it in to the taillights and now that part is fine.
I don't know when this really started happening from apart when the "PCM" went bad. What i mean to say is that I don't know is this problem had something to do cause of the "PCM" going bad or this is a whole different wiring problem.
Would you or anyone else know as I asked before, is there a way of bypassing those wires and installing new ones for "Hot and Ground" from the shifter or wherever down to the transmission?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-27-2020, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The third brake light, the one on top of the back of your cab, provides that ground for the torque converter. So if thatís not working, bulb burnt out, or you have corrosion, the tranny will act up.

Judging by your comment about all the taillights not working at one point in time and that you spliced they brake lights into another circuit, my guess would be that the third brake lights your problem.

I think you need to undo what you did to the taillights and retrace those wires. Find the real, original problem. Go back and fix it the correct way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 01-27-2020, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
If you start playing with the wiring and making a shortcut to activate the torque converter then you will end up with more problems.

I've seen too many people replace transmissions over a burnt bulb or bad wiring.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Transmission

Thanks to everyone that has chipped in so far. Sure enough I checked the third brake light and it was out as were the dome lights for the pickup box. This did not fix the problem though. One thing I noticed today was that when I am driving with the headlights on I do not have any left side flasher, only when I turn the lights off do the left side flash on and off. The right side has no issues. Than I noticed when I had the headlights on and the left turn signal activated (Which at this point the flasher are not working with the headlights on) the torque converter works fine. I also found out today that when the lights are on I have no brake lights. I agree that now it is definitely a wiring issue, and I will take the wire that I spliced in the back by the bumper off and try to determine what happened in the first place. I sure do appreciate everyone's help so far. I plan on keeping this o'girl forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode