7.3 whine/howling noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Unread 01-25-2020, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 whine/howling noise

Hello everyone. I have a 97 f350 7.3 that just started making an interesting whining noise. Here's the saga. I pulled the turbo out and did the ebpv delete, plugged the pedestal, a journal bearing rebuild kit, and installed a 1.0 housing. I kept the stock compressor and turbine wheel because they both looked fine still. Everything was good until this point. First drive after I did this (about a month ago now) I noticed a ringing/whining noise while accelerating. It comes on around 1600 rpm and changes in pitch with the varying rpm. To give you an idea the noise sounds a lot like hitting a tuning fork. At wide open throttle I don't hear the noise, it's only when accelerating and cruising. Noise drops off after around 2500 rpm. I thought it was most likely a boost leak because the plenum boots were very oil. The plenums were also a little out of round. I made some aluminum inserts and purchased some new plenum boots from riffraff. I made sure to degrease everything very well. Also put a new o-ring on the compressor housing outlet, no rtv. Definitely had a good seal after that, noise was still present, no change. When I plugged the ebpv I pulled the whole rod out and put a freeze plug in the whole. My second theory was that air was getting in those cavities where the freeze plugs are and creating a bottle effect type whistle. I pulled the exhaust outlet out again and cut some 1/2" bolts to fit flush on the inside and welded them in. Still no change. I really don't know what else to think at this point. I've also taken the intake boot off since the rebuild and felt the turbo shaft. Very little play and shaft spins freely. When I push the shaft all the way to one side and spin it it does not hit the housing. Does anyone have any ideas? Is this just an affect of the 1.0 housing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 01-25-2020, 09:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Can you capture this sound on camera? A good video will help.
post #3 of 7 Unread 01-26-2020, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

https://youtu.be/RpD2VgfiYYI

Here's about the best I can do with a phone. You can hear the noise pretty good from about the 10-20 second mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Unread 01-30-2020, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No one? Is this normal?
post #5 of 7 Unread 01-30-2020, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Boost leak(s) maybe? That's all I can think of. Cheers!

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
post #6 of 7 Unread 01-31-2020, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I had a whine and I needed my water pump rebuilt. I had a bad radiator cap spout. Long story. Couldn't find the leak took it to shop for over heating and the rebuilt the water pump. Didn't stop the over heating but took care of the whine.
post #7 of 7 Unread 01-31-2020, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Garage
I have a sound a lot like that in my 6.0 -- related to the turbo, but not the turbo its self
I think maybe need to clean the intake -- I just call it my woo wooo sound for now

Not sure on a 7.3 -- have you checked all the turbo air tubes and boots?

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in