Im out of ideas and I need help please! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im out of ideas and I need help please!

I wanted to explain ecerythiing I did with the truck truck recently. Scroll to bottom paragraph for my current problem.

I feel like I cant win with this truck. It was my grandfathers truck before he passed, so I'm sure you can understand the attachment I have. Anyways, it is a 1995 F250, obviously a 7.3 since I am on the powerstroke forums. Unfortunately I keep running into problems every couple weeks it feels. It sat for about a year recently (i know thats terrible for them), but it needed work that I just couldnt afford. It was in a small accident and i figured it was just cosmetic damage, but i guess from sitting it needed more. Anyways, I put about 1800 into it to get back on the road.
-New hood, fenders, grill, lights
-New Starter
-New Power Steering pump and line
-Rear brake line and block rubber hose
-Coolant flush
-Oil and filter Change
-New CPS sensor
-Thermostat
-Replaced a fuse or two
I might be forgetting a thing or two. After that, the truck drove great for a couple weeks. Then, there was a fuel leak. I was working alot at the time, but i quickly diagnosed it and thougjt I needed to rebuild my fuel bowl. About a week later when I was able to get to it, i found it on one the hoses on the side of the bowl. So that was an easy fix. But it put fuel in the valley that i couldnt get out. Put a hose in to try amd overflow it out.
Then, a week or two later, it just wouldnt start in the morning. I thought i fried my starter because it was drenched in fuel, so got a new one and still didnt start. Replaced glow plug controller. Still nothing. Was lost for what to do I then cleaned the battery connectors extremely well and switched out one of the batteries. I got lucky and it started to my surprise.
Then, a couple weeks later the truck ran rough after pulling out the drive way. I pulled over and turned it off and back on and then it ran fine. The next day on the way to jersey, started running rough again after an hour of driving. I pulled over and it was idling rough and then stalled. It did not want to start. After sitting a few minutes, I tried again and it started but it was really rough and was pouring smoke out the exhaust. It felt like it wanted to stall. Obviously i decided to rry and get home. After a minute or two of smoking and running terrible it leveled out a little. I made it back onto the highway and aboit 7 miles before it started doing the same thing. This time it didnt wanna start. If it did start it wpuldnt stay running. It was like choking. So, i had to get it towed. So far after doing symptom reseaech i replaced the CPS sensor and then made sure it was getting fuel. Replaced fuel filter in bowl for hell of it.Then i took off that side housing with hoses going in and out on the right of the bowl and cleaned it. Cleaned that filter inside that black plastic thing on that. Then Made sure ICP sensor was good. Then replaced fuel pressure regulator (ipr valve). And still not having luck. Please any advise appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 03:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Did the ICP connector have oil in it?

Triple check the fuses, which ones did you replace?

I'd remove the IDM and give it a shake and see if there is any water in it.

Your quickest diagnostic approach will be a scanner and do a buzz test and read the codes if any are stored.
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 07:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Also, how much fuel is in the tanks? Could very well be that your pickup screens are gone. If they have 1/4 tank or less, it could be struggling to grab fuel.

-Eric-

96 cclb, baby swamps, TS 6 position w/swamp's tunes, billet wheel, 1.0 housing, diy ebpv delete w/plugged pedestal, 3" downpipe to 4" exhaust, 6637, boost, egt, trans gauge, fully built trans, 203* tstat, 08 diff cover, airlift helper springs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ill tey checking the idm. The icp sensor had no oil in it. There is almost a full tank of fuel. The fuses all look fine
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 01:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
check the IPR and see the if the wiring looks terrible or if the tin nut is loose. Pretty common random no start cause if not the CPS. My truck even though its a 99 did the same thing but it was completely failing vs the tin nut coming loose. The 99-03 are basically the same so the principle is the same regarding the ICP and IPR etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in