• 1 Post By White95f250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loud loping noise when cold outside

When its cold outside (40 degrees F and below) this loud loping noise, like you just cammed this baby up lol, begins at 1000 RPM and continues to 1500 RPM. If you accelerate it will stop but once you let off and hold the throttle steady it begins again. It reminds me of an exhaust brake sound. I lose about 200 RPM while its doing this and you can feel the power loss. You can hear a slight air whistle noise almost like a vacuum leak just before the loping begins. I have tried to listen and hear whats going on and the loping sound sounds like it is coming through the cold air intake. I have no idea what this is or if it is normal for the 7.3's. First 7.3 I have owned. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Itís your Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. Itís kind of like an exhaust brake just after the turbo thatís controlled from the PCM. Completely normal for it to actuate like that. And yes you will here it from the cold air intake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 11-13-2019, 03:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
X2 EBPV.

I used to have to let mine warm up a little then turn it off and back on for it to fully open.

It has since been gutted. Some people like to leave it since it is factory installed but with todays winter blend fuels the motor will still warm up just fine without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you very the knowledge. That’s what I have done a few times is let it warm up then shut the engine off and start it again and then works properly but here lately that hasn’t been working. Is it something that can be cleaned?
post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-2019, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
The pcm has to see a specified oil temp before it opens (don't remember the actual temp). Even though you're shutting it off and turning it back on, the engine still may not be warm enough to deactivate it. Or it could be sticking.

It can be serviced, but, as said, if you take it apart you might as well gut it. The rod can stick and the o-ring can go bad causing an oil leak that would be visible on the turbo pedestal.

-Eric-

96 cclb, baby swamps, TS 6 position w/swamp's tunes, billet wheel, 1.0 housing, diy ebpv delete w/plugged pedestal, 3" downpipe to 4" exhaust, 6637, boost, egt, trans gauge, fully built trans, 203* tstat, 08 diff cover, airlift helper springs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-14-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Honestly the first time you take the turbo off you will want a deleted pedestal.

It took me 4hrs to get mine off and 30 minutes to put it back on with a deleted pedestal. No more leaks and no more worries.
EflumE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode