I got a couple codes now - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy I got a couple codes now

Okay, so I was able to go get my Momentum yesterday from the dealer in Laughlin, NV. I was pulling it without a tune installed to see what the read outs would be on the tranny temps. the EGT's, and boost. I did notice a big difference in take off from a stop. Very slow and seemed like the power wasn't there. I climbed the 12 mile 6% grade with OD off and a couple times I had to shift into 2 gear manually. My tranny temp didn't get over 180 and the most EGT's was 1180 and that was right about the time I was cresting the top. My boost was all over the place from a high of 14 to 0 reading. I think I'll be putting the tune back in. So, the only other difference from towing with a tune and not, was the OD light started flashing about a mile from the top of the grade. I had to pull over and shut down the engine to get it to stop. Was fine after that until I started climbing a half mile grade at 6% in town. Yep, it started flashing on and off again. I got the codes off of it this morning. There were two and in the order I received them is a PO603 KAM and the second is a P1728 tranny slip error. I'm pretty sure the KAM is because I kept driving after the OD light started flashing. I am going to check my fluid level in the tranny in a little bit but It was full when I started it that morning, so???? Just for your information the E40D has been rebuilt twice in 10,000 miles the last time was 7000 miles ago with no towing at all in that 7000 miles. I'm going to disconnect batteries so I'm sure error codes clear and see what happens when I'm running 70-75 freeway speeds with no load. Only other thing I'm concerned about is the 0 boost reading for the last 20 miles towing the trailer home. Any advice and input on your thoughts about what I've wrote would be appreciated greatly. Just hoping it's not another tranny rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE.....
When I opened the hood a little bit ago the boost line had been blown off it's connection. I've clamped it on the connection now. I'm thinking that is when my OD light started flashing off and on. Tranny fluid is full. I must have had a lot of boost that last mile before the top of the grade and without the line being clamped it just blow it off and then the rest of the way home I had a vacuum leak. Is that about right or did I miss it? I will still do a highway test but I hope I've fixed the problem..
post #3 of 6 Old 09-14-2019, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Do you have any other mods?

Check your tail/brake lights. A burnt bulb can cause funky transmission issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-15-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

I did a walk around when I hooked up the trailer and after I got home and all lights were operation correctly. I'm going to take a drive up the freeway today. It's a gradual climb for about 6 miles. If the tranny is really slipping that should throw a code.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-15-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

No codes at 70mph, 2400rpm's and 2 to 4psi boost. I stopped at the truck stop at the top of the hill and put the tow tune back in. Only difference I noticed was, get up and go. Boost bounced between 0 and 2psi but it was down hill all the way. I am wondering something though. Will a 7.3 with a wastegate have more boost than an earlier 7.3 like mine with no wastegate? I read on this site someone with a 99, f350 was getting boost while at idle and lots when taking off from a stop. I hardly show boost from a stop and then it's only 1 or 2psi then it levels out to 0.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlsalem View Post
No codes at 70mph, 2400rpm's and 2 to 4psi boost. I stopped at the truck stop at the top of the hill and put the tow tune back in. Only difference I noticed was, get up and go. Boost bounced between 0 and 2psi but it was down hill all the way. I am wondering something though. Will a 7.3 with a wastegate have more boost than an earlier 7.3 like mine with no wastegate? I read on this site someone with a 99, f350 was getting boost while at idle and lots when taking off from a stop. I hardly show boost from a stop and then it's only 1 or 2psi then it levels out to 0.
Super Duties boost more than OBS 7.3s, but not necessarily because of the wastegate. The turbo is much different, with one difference being, OBS trucks having a higher A/R than the SD trucks. This results in later spooling. My stock turbo with billet wheel doesn't really get going till you get over 2k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in