Please help I don't know where to start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-13-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi this is my first diesel I got this truck about a year ago and was told that it had water in the tank somebody stole the batteries and the catalytic converter I put batteries in it drain the tank and filled it with fresh fuel and it fired right off ran great for about 2 months then I was sitting at idle it just started running real rough and dies it was hard to restart but I did get it started and I drove it about a half a block to a friend's house and parked it there for about 3 months. After some research I decided it was probably the fuel pump so after replacing the fuel pump it ran great for about 15 miles and it started the same s*** I was told by a mechanic it was probably that I put a bad fuel pump in it so since the fuel pump I put in had a lifetime warranty I decide to replace it again now it's running rough and I have all these codes and I don't know where to start. It's throwing a p0267 a p1271 p1272 and a p1273 a p0220 p1780 p0703 p0476 p0603 is there one thing that could cause all these codes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Tonydav75; 08-13-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-13-2019, 02:59 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
To help us help you and reduce the clutter....

What year, any mods, miles, any history on new parts or maintenance?

Did you check the oil level?

Did you check the fuel filter?

Have you checked battery volts/condition? new batteries and sitting for a few months sounds like the truck was jump started? A weak battery(ies) can make a truck run beyond funky so its good to put them on a charger will your diagnosing this and cranking the truck up to test etc.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 02:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
First thing I would have done is replace the CPS since that causes weird stuff to happen.

Check fuel pressure on the fuel bowl at the shrader valve.

You most likely have air in the fuel lines. Start it and let it warm up a little then give it a few revs and drive it like you still it.

Make sure oil and coolant are good. It's tough to hurt these motors and overheating it is one easy way. So don't be afraid to be hard on it to get the air out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

She is a 96 crew cab with an 8 foot bed single wheel axle 2 wheel drive no mods that I know of. I did replace the fuel fillter and the fuel pump twice and the water pump .this last fuel pump replacement I also replaced all the fuel lines going to the pump, regular and bowl I got a o ring kit for the bowl and a repair kit for the regulator
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
remove the oil cap and take a sniff....do you smell burnt wiring?

If you can get it to idle, disconnect one of the plugs at the valve cover harness at a time.....if it continues to run the same you've found the bad harness.....if it dies or idles worse you've found the good harness.

Really common for the UVCH to fail and cause the engine to run on 4 cylinders
post #6 of 7 Old 08-15-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't smell burnt wire and I can't get it to idel.I can gas rag it and get it to run for a few seconds and I hit the valve on the side and air comes out every time .could there be that much air in the system or do I have leak pulling in air from somewhere?
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
pull both valve covers and confirm that oil is coming from each injector at the oil spout. This will confirm that the injectors are firing and if so it's probably a fueling issue. If there is no oil then it's probably a harness or CPS issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode