1995 F250 PS won't pull fuel from rear tank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 04-07-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1995 F250 PS won't pull fuel from rear tank

The previous owner ran biodiesel in the rear tank so I suspect there's gunk in the line from the rear tank before the FSV. If I switch to the rear tank the truck starts to sputter/choke and eventually dies.

Assuming there's gunk in the fuel tank filter (or some other issue?) how could I clear that out without dropping the tank? Is it possible to somehow inject warm/hot diesel? Or maybe a chemical I could put in the tank that would disolve a clog?

I haven't tried blowing high pressure air into the tank yet from the hose connecting to the FSV.

The truck drives fine on the front tank so I know the issue is not between the FSV and the fuel bowl.

I've never dropped a tank before and am hoping I don't have to do that.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-07-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well hot **** damn! I got off my lazy *** and blew out the line and it probably cleared those gooey filters. I'm back in biznuss!
post #3 of 4 Old 04-07-2019, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
What level is the rear tank? The "shower heads" in the tanks like to disintegrate and the pieces can cause problems in the selector valve and lines. The problems will usually show itself at about 1/4 tank. Cheers!

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-07-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey Patrick, it was full when I troubleshot it today. I got hung up when this issue popped up over a year ago and have been running off the front tank. I pumped out all of the diesel to take a look (year ago), and added a fresh batch. The truck just randomly seized up on me one day a year ago but I cannot remember if I was near empty or full at that time. Probably near empty.

Hey, so I'm probably going to need to replace those parts. Is dropping the tank easier than lifting off the bed? I think I might rather rig up a hoist and pull off the bed if that's possible. I've never done either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode