97 F350 7.3 PS Ran about 2 minutes the just quit now no start - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 Old 04-09-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update: Well I replace bad UVCH connector, pigtail and gasket and while that was a problem it wasn't THE problem. Still have a bunch of testing with an ohm meter to do however I'm working outside and it has been cold and very wet here in Vermont. Will be replacing the ICP sensor as a lot of oil was present when I unplugged the connector. I also got my hands on a pressure gauge so I can test fuel pressure at the same time. I'm hoping the sensor is the problem. Thanks to all for your help I'll keep you posted.

December 23 1913
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 04-13-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Patrick or anybody I've been going through your list. Only question is where to check fuel pressure of 25psi at 100 rpm. Do I check that when I change ICP sensor(is leaking)? If so do you have any idea what those treads are? I have a full OTC oil pressure test kit w/High and low pressure gauges and metric and pipe thread adapters and nothing seems to fit.

December 23 1913
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-13-2019, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Fuel pressure is checked at the shrader (tire) valve on the Fuel Pressure Regulator (driver's side of the fuel bowl). You can use a cheapo stick tire gauge, just wrap a rag around the joint to avoid a fuel shower. ICP will be high pressure oil, so you will want a 0-5000 psi gauge for measuring that, but use one of the other hex-plugged ports on the head. ICP is a straight-thread and is -4 (maybe???). Cheers!

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 Old 04-14-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK update: Scan tool used, came up with 261 error on cylinder #1 after first buz test, found bent pin in UVCH (apparently when I plugged it in) straightened it out and reconnected. Cleared second test. Fuel pressure 3000+. Ran injector buz test several more times all good. Still doesn't run. Now all that being said I have a question. Can anyone tell me what the open voltage should be at the bank power wire (center connector of the five) at the valve cover connection where the harness connects to the valve cover gasket plug? I come up with 2 different wildly varying readings from left bank to right bank.

December 23 1913
post #15 of 26 Old 04-15-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Friend of mine entered my truck into Alldata. Boy have I got a lot of reading to do. Found answer to my last question, got a problem there voltage very low. Keeps looking like the IDM however found a recall that may be relevant on the Cam sensor I need to check on first. Defiantly want to eliminate all possibilities before dropping 200 bucks on an IDM but for today I'm not going to crawl around in the mud to check the sensor. Pouring out.......good day to read.

December 23 1913
post #16 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
If the buzz test fires each injector electronically then the IDM is good....don't waste your money on a new IDM. The electrical side of your injectors is working. The other two parts for the engine to fire is high pressure oil and fuel.

Are you getting smoke out of the tailpipe while cranking? If so then fuel is being injected into the engine while cranking. If not, you have a fuel or oil problem.

Is the HPOP reservoir within an inch from the top when looking in the inspection plug?

Is the fuel bowl refilling while cranking?

My next move would be to check those items and if everything looks good I would then pull the passenger valve cover (easiest of the two IMO) and confirm that oil is spurting from the injectors while cranking indicating the HPOP is sending oil to the injectors and the injectors are firing.

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD 203K all original
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 253K all original
post #17 of 26 Old 09-16-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To all:
OK, been awhile but summer and all it's chores is winding down, getting ready for next winter (that's what summer is for here in Northern Vermont), back to work on this POJ. IN addition to what I have already covered here is a synopsis of what I have done since.

As I mention (I think), the friend with the Scantool also has an account with Alldata. He found the recall on the CPS. Called Ford to check to see if it had been replaced under the recall. Gave the the VIN, after a few minutes guy comes back "yup it was replaced ##/##/####" I don't remember the exact date. Well in Alldata there was a procedure to test all the wiring between PCM and the CPS. so OK lets do that ..... all readings within spec. So with all the wiring being OK, a new CPS is only about 30 bucks I'll just run down to local Ford dealer and pick one up. Well first off when I pulled the old sensor, look at that, the old style (never replaced). I'm a little ticked but hopeful, maybe that was it all the time. NO such luck.

Greenskeeper, No smoke, fuel bowl is filling, need to find and check HPOP reservoir (if anyone has a pic that would be great). Do you mean actually pulling an injector?

December 23 1913
post #18 of 26 Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to PigpenF350
I had a very similar issue with my 97 last winter, I was able to use this bulletin to find out my IDM was bad. Hopefully that's not the case for you. I got mine remanned off Amazon. No core charge but you get a 2 year warranty if you mail the old one back. Very simple tests, but a second set of hands helps (my 8yo daughter provided hers)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IDM Checks.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	723247  
Hydro likes this.

1997 F350 Dually Plow Truck
post #19 of 26 Old 09-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwildman View Post
To all:
OK, been awhile but summer and all it's chores is winding down, getting ready for next winter (that's what summer is for here in Northern Vermont), back to work on this POJ. IN addition to what I have already covered here is a synopsis of what I have done since.

As I mention (I think), the friend with the Scantool also has an account with Alldata. He found the recall on the CPS. Called Ford to check to see if it had been replaced under the recall. Gave the the VIN, after a few minutes guy comes back "yup it was replaced ##/##/####" I don't remember the exact date. Well in Alldata there was a procedure to test all the wiring between PCM and the CPS. so OK lets do that ..... all readings within spec. So with all the wiring being OK, a new CPS is only about 30 bucks I'll just run down to local Ford dealer and pick one up. Well first off when I pulled the old sensor, look at that, the old style (never replaced). I'm a little ticked but hopeful, maybe that was it all the time. NO such luck.

Greenskeeper, No smoke, fuel bowl is filling, need to find and check HPOP reservoir (if anyone has a pic that would be great). Do you mean actually pulling an injector?
HPOP reservoir is the big rectangular aluminum block in the front of the engine, right between the cylinder banks (middle of the V), between the alternator and AC compressor. On the right side (as you face it) of the top of the reservoir, there's a circular plug with a female hex. Remove the plug, and look inside, or dip something in there, like the end of a ziptie. Oil level inside should be an inch or less from the top of the res. If it isn't, to see if that's causing the problem, add oil until it is. Capacity is approx one quart, and there's a "spillway" that will allow the excess to go down into the crankcase once it reaches about an inch from the top, so don't keep pouring quart after quart wondering why it won't fill up all the way, lol. Report back and we can go from there.

'96 F350 CCLB SRW 4x4 7.3 4.10 - AFE Intake, billet wheel, T500 HPOP, 3" downpipe, Magnaflow 4" full exhaust, DP Tuner F5
post #20 of 26 Old 09-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwildman View Post
To all:

No, don't pull an injector. If the injectors are firing they will squirt oil onto the top of the head. No oil squirt means they aren't firing.

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD 203K all original
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 253K all original
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode