Steering issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-23-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering issue

So I just bought a 97' crewcab F350 2wd and one thing I have noticed is there is a lot of slack play in the steering wheel. I have to turn the wheel at least 1/8 to 1/4 turn before it will start turning the wheels. What could this possible be? It did bug me a little bit when I first hopped in it to take it home and I'd like to figure out the issue or issues if there is more than one. This is my very first Powerstroke ever owned let alone a Diesel motor pickup. All of my previous vehicles have been gas motors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Garage
Someone needs to turn the steering wheel back and forth while another looks under the truck to see where the slack is. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving the truck until this was done.

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like a wore out steering box. Quarter turn is a lot of play. You didn't say how many miles are on the old girl,but that much play indicates to me a steering box issue. Like Hydro says have a look see under rig.Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2019, 11:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
I also just picked up a '97. Mine has very tough steering at slow speeds. Haven't driven it anywhere yet because it's so bad. My first thought is the pump, but I'm curious if the box could also be a potential issue here.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

worn out midshaft?

You may find the midshaft in the steering column has play in it. I had that on my F350 before I rebuilt it. The midshaft sits between the steering column and the steering gearbox. Not too hard to reach or remove. It has a telescoping feature that allows it to collapse in the event of a front end collision. To keep these two parts of the shaft 'snug' to each other, there is a plastic bushing between the two of them that can deteriorate over time. When it deteriorates, it can introduce significant play into the steering, even BEFORE you get to the steering box...... as recommended above, you might have one person turn the steering wheel, while the other checks where the play is occurring......

If it's your steering shaft, you can take your chances at an auto wrecker (I found a few good replacements), or you can buy OEM replacement at a number of distributors, and I even understand there are excellent aftermarket options available too (I believe Flaming River has a splined shaft that'll have no chance for play anywhere)

Cheers

cason234
1995 CCLB 2WD 7.3PSD E4OD, 4.10 DRW 155K Miles
Lynden, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode