KC TP38R turbo Dyno #'s/ 1/4 mile times - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KC TP38R turbo Dyno #'s/ 1/4 mile times

Hey ya'll, with there finally being a drop in turn that is worth the $ I am curious to see what type of Dyno numbers folks are putting down with this TP38R turbo from KC turbos. It states on the website it's good for up to 238cc hybrids and was told 500-550rwhp would be the upper limits of the turbo. For $1400 it is a heck of alot cheaper to run one of these then going the T4 mount. Not to mention alot less work with it being a drop in turn. As long as you plan on not going any bigger for injectors it seems like this is easily the best bang for your buck turbo for up to 525-550rwhp. List your set up (what psi you are seeing as well) and what you put down for power or what you have ran in the 1/4 mile with this turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nobody is running this turbo? I have to imagine for the $ there is no better turbo for stage 1 160cc injectors up to small hybrids out there for daily driving/towing.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-19-2018, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
here is my two cents, after doing some research I looked up the Dual BB and Journal bearing specs and looking at some numbers on the two compared and found out that the spool up time is in the hundredths of a second. after reading that I decided to put together my own version of the turbo minus the Dual BB. i had actually ordered my wheel from CNC and when I called they told me that the wheel wouldn't work with the stock shaft so I sent it back and I then called PowerMax Turbos and they set me up with the same wheel that I had originally ordered from CNC, which is from KCTurbos except different name, and told me it will in fact work with the stock shaft. Most of the wheels are pretty much the same just different a name, look at the specs. Thats the beauty of CNC Machines anything can be replicated. They also set me up with the same compressor housing as the KCTurbo Compressor Housing except the outside isn't all nice and shiny polished finish, im ok with that. Then from another source I ordered the Garrett Non EBPV delete pedestal, Garrett High flow flange, Garrett 1.0A/R turbine Housing, and the 360* bearing upgrade kit. I haven't pulled the turbo to rebuild yet waiting for a dyno day to do pre-rebuild and post-rebuild comparison. One thing to note is that PowerMax has several options to choose from for about 70 more they will include new turbine and shaft and come balanced with the compressor wheel. Stay tuned ill be making a post on this rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-19-2018, 03:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
I still see a huge advantage going T4 but the cost is a hair higher but the up pipes typically need replaced and non EBPV pedestal increases the costs close to a T4 kit. KC turbos updated their KC38R turbo to mock a 366sxe but nothing has been said about upgrading the TP38R to a 366sxe style unit. If they ever did it would be a great drop in option.

97 4x4 Eaton supercharged 7.3, S369sxe R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, my tuning, honey badger SR hpop, efuel, Valair Ceramic single, BMW M3 bucket seats, SKY 5" RSK/Skyjacker TTB , SKY RFK & shackles, Toyo M/T

1948 GMC 4-53T Detroit, 1945 Chevy rat rod dually 4-51 Detroit, project mean green 8V53 Detroit, 1951 Mack A51T
post #5 of 7 Old 03-24-2018, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1186 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedPSD View Post
I still see a huge advantage going T4 but the cost is a hair higher but the up pipes typically need replaced and non EBPV pedestal increases the costs close to a T4 kit. KC turbos updated their KC38R turbo to mock a 366sxe but nothing has been said about upgrading the TP38R to a 366sxe style unit. If they ever did it would be a great drop in option.
The KC Turbos TP38R has been upgraded to the 366sxe style.

https://www.cncfab.us/shop/kc-turbos-kctp38r/

www.cncfab.us

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2018, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

www.cncfab.us
I have had one since December; beta tester. I'm a happy man. I pulled the camper from NE Wisconsin to the KOFA in Arizona, about 5500 miles and elevations over 7500 ft. The difference is night and day. There is no black smoke, just some haze (I can actually see what is behind me) when I have the hammer down. AND, it's boosting by 1500 rpm. I could not be happier. Kudos to the Charlie. It only pulls the camper, so I won't have a fancy numbers for you.

Dusty was in Arizona doing some live tuning. I wasn't aware of that at the time, so I missed out on that. I will say it again. Live tuning sessions should be posted on their sites.

97 F350 XL std cab, zf5, srw (converted), 4wd, 3.55s, stock wheels/tires & rebuilt 9.19
2 Donaldsons, 3" dp, ACs, T500, HV LPOP, Hydra w/PHP, DIY 60 gl tank w/6 gl sump, eFuel/Cat filters, Aeromotive RR, Auber instruments, 140v IDM, KC 300X 63/70/84, boost fooler, RiffRaff bellowed up pipes, 6.0 IC, 3" plenums w/RiffRaff inserts & SB 425HD

Last edited by MeTo; 03-26-2018 at 04:27 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2018, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

www.cncfab.us
I have had one since December; beta tester. I'm a happy man. I pulled the camper from NE Wisconsin to the KOFA in Arizona, about 5500 miles and elevations over 7500 ft. The difference is night and day. There is no black smoke, just some haze (I can actually see what is behind me) when I have the hammer down. AND, it's boosting by 1500 rpm. I could not be happier. Kudos to Charlie. It only pulls the camper, so I won't have any fancy numbers for you.

97 F350 XL std cab, zf5, srw (converted), 4wd, 3.55s, stock wheels/tires & rebuilt 9.19
2 Donaldsons, 3" dp, ACs, T500, HV LPOP, Hydra w/PHP, DIY 60 gl tank w/6 gl sump, eFuel/Cat filters, Aeromotive RR, Auber instruments, 140v IDM, KC 300X 63/70/84, boost fooler, RiffRaff bellowed up pipes, 6.0 IC, 3" plenums w/RiffRaff inserts & SB 425HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode