1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-30-2015, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Super Duty Seats in OBS Extended Cab 40/20/40

So I have a unique case for my seat swap. The Super Duty extended cab trucks have a 3rd door, whereas the OBS extended cab trucks have special seat tracks that allow for substantial forward movement on the seats. I have completely manual seat tracks with manual recline and manual lumber from a 2000 Super Duty (picked up a full 40/20/40 set for $50!!)

I initially tried the SD seat tracks, but they would not have centered the seats, would not have fit over the hump very well, would have covered up the driver's seat belt floor bracket, would have required extensive work and I using them I would not have had access to my rear seats. I have kids so that just wouldn't work if I want to use this truck for hauling the fam around.

So I though I would find a set of seat brackets from the upull it yards. Fortunately for me, they were having a half off sale that weekend, so I managed to pick up one from an extended cab truck and one from a Ford Bronco for $9 total. The Bronco seat brackets are identical to the OBS extended cab seat brackets.

I installed the seat brackets in the cab and put the super duty seats on top of them and centered everything. The cool thing here is that the front and outside stock bolt hole in the SD seats will line up perfectly with the same hole on the OBS tracks to center the seats and put them in the perfect position. So I bolted up the front outside bolt with a 10mm socket and then lined up the inside front bolt and marked it with a drill. Then I took my step bit and drilled a hole for a 5/16" bolt (as I had them, washers, and nylock nuts laying around). I then put in a bolt in the other front hole, slid the tracks forward, and marked the two back holes, drilled them and put washers on both sides. I bolted everything down and the seats fit in perfectly.

On the center seat, I just have it sitting there as a console for now and it isn't bolted in, I need to find the center x-bracket for the middle seat from an OBS extended cab. I will post results of that as there will have to be a little work as there are a couple bolts from the upper seat cushion/console piece that bolted into the stock floor bracket on the SD "20" seat. I will likely just weld up an intermediate piece from the SD bracket to mount it to the OBS x-bracket for the "20" seat on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150329_144747_resized.jpg
Views:	3485
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	407610   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150329_144735_resized.jpg
Views:	3744
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	407618  
Paulpolar600 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is an old thread but would like to ask a few questions about this. Thanks
post #3 of 12 Old 04-03-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Go ahead and ask away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-05-2019, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How did your finish product come out? Also, how much room was left for passengers? I'm looking into putting some heated lariat seats in mine.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-05-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Here is how they turned out. I never finished the center console and just used it as a console instead of a seat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150329_144735_1557075636160.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	718331  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-05-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

The space is the problem, and why I am selling my OBS. I ended up getting an 06 crew cab
post #7 of 12 Old 10-21-2019, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Waking up this good old thread one more time if I can...

Looking to make similar swap with an even later set of SD seats (2006) and have some questions. Thanks!
post #8 of 12 Old 10-21-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Raise up the questions
post #9 of 12 Old 10-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK. Here goes...

I can see in your under seat photo the OBS Bronco/SuperCab tracks have the "carriage" structure that connects the inboard and outboard tracks. On the OBS SC tracks I have, the carriage automatically allows the seat to slide forward when the seat back is tilted forward. I'm wondering if you were able to get that feature to work with the SD seats as the SD seats I have don't tilt forward.

Also, wondering about the holes you drilled in the seats to attach the tracks. Were you drilling new holes into the seat "pan" (the stamped sheet metal bottom structure of the seat)? From what I'm seeing the OBS tracks attach to the pan approximately 14 inches apart and the 2006 SD SC seats tracks are attached approximately 15.5 inches apart. I wasn't sure if the tracks on your earlier SD seats were similarly spaced.

Thanks again.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-22-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

There is a release mechanism on the obs tracks themselves. Basically a mechanism like in this picture is what I built. I mounted one track or portion on the original mounting area and the other offset into the metal on the SD seats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E2051NS_1571783433332.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	724355  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode