LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #118311 of 118815 Old 10-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
Didn't see it mentioned in your list of "have dones" but have you pulled and inspected the IPR. I think Diesel Site has a write-up on cleaning/rebuilding those. Bad fuel pressure, bad ICP, and bad wiring to both the ICP and IPR will do this as well.
I honestly wouldn't waste my time rebuilding the ipr, many times the culprit is the electromagnet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #118312 of 118815 Old 10-25-2016, 02:18 PM
Electrical Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wouldn't think it's electrical, but won't rule it out 100% either. Even with the archaic PCM these trucks have, an engine electrical issue will throw a DTC.

Do you have any diagnostic equipment to read what the HPO pressure is, or run a contribution test? If you think an injector is weak, it is possible for it to pass a buzz test and not pass a contribution test if there is an issue in the oil/fuel sections of the injector.

Bill

1996 F250 SC/SB 4X4 XLT
1997 F250 RC/SB 2WD project
2008 F350 CC/LB 4X4 DRW Lariat, 3" cow catcher mod
2008 Ranger SC FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
If your posting pictures bill, everyone dim their screens, that CAT YELLOW is bright
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman247365 View Post
Is there anything you DONT take apart and **** with?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
I still say that those Dodge mirrors have as much business on a OBS Ford as yoga pants have on a fat chick...my .02
post #118313 of 118815 Old 10-25-2016, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jack is that a vote for the IPR as a suspect or just saying if I go down that road, don't waste time rebuilding it? I've got a know good one I can try.

Bill I've got access to new Mac and snapon computers. I want to say we did a contribution test a couple years ago but I don't recall. I can test hpo pressure too.

I leaned towards electrical because the odd occasion it seems to run well is on a fresh start up. Never while running or going down the road. Same thing when it goes back to running poorly. So long as I leave it running, it stays the same. Only time it happened while running was when it initially happened. I was pulling my LQ trailer and it was like someone flicked a switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #118314 of 118815 Old 10-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 1145 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
@JJFLASH

Just curious, but what is exactly happening? Runs crappy when warm, wont restart, etc. I can walk you through to test your oil sides on the injectors and the HPOP. External orings arent always a fix.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #118315 of 118815 Old 10-25-2016, 03:33 PM

I would describe it as a very slight miss. Does not feel smooth when it's running, less power, poorer fuel economy (2-3mpg consistently), black/dark smoke haze under acceleration/load. If you didn't know the truck or weren't familiar with 7.3s you might not even notice it. Starts fine. Warm/cold/day/night...doesn't matter.

It happened instantly about three years ago when I was going down the road pulling about 12k worth of trailer. Runs that way 99% of the time ever since.

Every once in a while I'll start it/drive it and it feels happy like it should. Soon a I shut it off/restart it it's back to unhappy.

Couple days ago it was running like it has for the last three years. I shut it off at a store then fired it back up when I came out and it was running happily. Ran that way all the way home. For some reason it was really noticeable that time and got me thinking about chasing the problem again. I had basically given up a year ago or so and decided to just wait for a better dollar and get new injectors (you might remember me talking to you about that).
[email protected] likes this.
post #118316 of 118815 Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1145 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Have you checked to see if you have a pin hole in your fuel supply line from the tank to the bowl? It could be drawing air in. And yes, I do recall chatting with you about injectors.

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #118317 of 118815 Old 10-25-2016, 03:57 PM

No I haven't checked the fuel lines. I figured since it is intermittent (although with big intervals between change for the better) and seemed to be exactly tied to ignition cycle it likely wasn't anything like that.

I did the mechanical things like injector orings and push rods before the first time it ran happily again. After that I started leaning toward electrical.
post #118318 of 118815 Old 10-25-2016, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
Jack is that a vote for the IPR as a suspect or just saying if I go down that road, don't waste time rebuilding it? I've got a know good one I can try.
I would run a contribution test a few times first. I've seen the ipr magnet and loose connections to them do odd things
post #118319 of 118815 Old 10-26-2016, 04:12 AM
Interior Guru

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wonder if you bent a push rod JJ. Since you were working it when it changed originally.

I drug home more junk this weekend in the form of an engine driven PTO for my F-SD. It's still attached to a cab, frame, and rear axle though. Lol
post #118320 of 118815 Old 10-26-2016, 05:36 AM

That was the first thing I checked when I got home that time Garrett. I pulled every one of them and rolled them but they were all true. That's basically how the truck feels/runs: a slightly bent push rod. It's even got that low pitched thumping drone like a bent rod. Have a 94.5 PSD tow truck that was bad for doing that on it's first engine.

But a bent push rod should make it run poorly all the time right? Can a push rod be bent enough to affect the valve but be straight enough to look ok when rolled on a flat surface? Maybe a valve, not the push rod??

Sorry fellas. It's the intermittent thing that's driving me crazy. IMO the symptoms point to a mechanical issue. But I don't think any of those things should magically fix themselves on the rare occasions with a fresh turn of the key. Know what I mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1994-1997 , 6.0's suck , awesomeness , chooo chooo crash , derail gods , derail what? , facebook for men , garrets home land , multi-quote what? , no snapperheads , obs , old body style , old but sexy , old but slow , old but superior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode