6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electric fuel pump conversion

The following is a copy of a post I did on another forum last year.

Now that winter is here I decided to park my truck in the shop to give me something to do in the evenings. I decided there was three things on my to do list. IDM mod, DIY stage Is, and to convert from mechanical to an electrical fuel system. I know that you can buy kits to do this but part of the fun is trying to gather together all the parts you need. Luckily others have done this before so I didn't have to try and figure out what regulator and filters would work. Here is the list of parts I used and the costs.

Prefilter and base - Stanadyne 33640 (thedieselstore.com) $74.64
Secondary Filter Base - (WIX): 24770 (Fleetfilter.com) $26.00
Secondary Filter - (WIX) 33528 (Fleetfilter.com) $9.00
Fuel Pump - (ebay.com) $114
Fuel Lines - Stainless steel 3/8" under turbo (local) $100
Oil pressure switch - Holley 12-810 (amazon.com) $28.00
Fuel pressure switch - (local) $25.00
Fuel regulator - Aeromotive 13109 (ebay.com) $133
Fuel hose - Parker (international dealer) $5.00
Stainless hose clamps - (home depot) $7.00
Fuel pressure guage - (harbor freight) $5.00
Brass three way connector - (harbor freight) $4.00
Fittings misc brass - (harbor freight) $13.00
Fittings - Parker (local) $37.33
Wire - (local) $5.00
Fuel pump bracket - (wrecking yard) $5.00
Misc stuff - (local) $9.00
Total - $600

The first thing I did was remove the stock filter housing and pump. The only thing I left was the fuel lines coming into the valley from the tanks.

I went to a transmission shop and had some custom made 3/8" stainless steel fuel lines to go under the turbo. These attached to the back of the head and came together with a brass three way air connector. I bent the stock lines by hand into the right positions being careful not to kink them. I did not need to cut them to make them fit.

I fabbed a bracket out of stainless steel to mount the pressure regulator to the bracket on top of the HPOP reservoir. I reused the existing flex fuel lines coming from the front of the heads into the fuel regulator.

Front view

The wire for the fuel filter restriction was plugged into the fuel pressure sensor to light the dash light if fuel pressure drops below 20lbs.

I went to the wrecking yard and got a fuse box from an F150 so that I could add another relay and fuse to my fuse box. I added the relay in the upper left corner and the large size 30amp fuse furthest to the right. All wiring was run in existing looms where possible. I wanted this whole setup to look as factory as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0011.jpg
Views:	104769
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	13603   Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	57765
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	13604   Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	32355
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	13605   Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	59161
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	13609   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	46534
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	13610  

96 F350 4x4 XLT 7.3 59,428 orig miles, Stage I's, Adrenaline, IDM, gutted EBPV, Tymar intake, Banks intercooler, downpipe, gauges, TW 4 position chip, John Wood Towmaster, Ford 08 diff cover, Oil gauge mod, Electric fuel conversion, RSK, OH console, Durn cat done run off an I can't find it.

It is better to have a lobster on your piano than to have a crab on your organ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

For the fuel filters I fabbed a couple brackets from stainless and mounted the filters as high up as I could. They are not visible unless you get under the truck. This is only possible on an F350. My F250 doesn't have the depth under the cab in front of the front fuel tank.

I mounted the fuel pump using a bracket from a Ford car that holds the fuel filter. It was just the right size and worked perfect. It might have been easier to just use a SD pump but that would have cost me more.

The oil pressure sensor was installed in the rear oil cooler header. I used a rubber boot from a BMW at the wrecking yard. I was surprised how well it fit.

I also added a fuel safety shutoff switch from another Ford car. I spent quite some time looking in the engine compartment until I realized they were located in the trunk.

Quick drawing of the basic wiring

Finished it up last night and took it for a spin. All I can say is I've never felt anything like it before! I just wonder how long my tranny is going to last now. I have a TW chip with the street race position but it hasn't been programed for the new Stage 1s I put in. Anyhow all I can say is this is a different truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	75176
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	13612   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	50262
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	13613   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	32930
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	13614   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	35100
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	13615   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelwire.jpg
Views:	38312
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	13616  

96 F350 4x4 XLT 7.3 59,428 orig miles, Stage I's, Adrenaline, IDM, gutted EBPV, Tymar intake, Banks intercooler, downpipe, gauges, TW 4 position chip, John Wood Towmaster, Ford 08 diff cover, Oil gauge mod, Electric fuel conversion, RSK, OH console, Durn cat done run off an I can't find it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Electrical Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice job Unique approach with the custom fuel lines in the valley. I did a conversion a few months back and put my crash switch in the truck gasser location in the passenger kick panel (if you take off the plastic you'll see the mounting holes.)

Bill

1996 F250 SC/SB 4X4 XLT
1997 F250 RC/SB 2WD project
2008 F350 CC/LB 4X4 DRW Lariat, 3" cow catcher mod
2008 Ranger SC FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
If your posting pictures bill, everyone dim their screens, that CAT YELLOW is bright
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman247365 View Post
Is there anything you DONT take apart and **** with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH View Post
I still say that those Dodge mirrors have as much business on a OBS Ford as yoga pants have on a fat chick...my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

deffinetly different then mine but I like yours nice job

1995 Ford F250 4X4 Sup cap Long bed off white
7.3L Powerstroke, 5 speed manual

Mods Stancor GPR, Diamond eye 3" DP, Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust, AFE Stage II Intake,3" plenum setup,Swamps IDM,Eletric Fuel System,Adrenaline HPOP,stage I sticks, ts 6 pos,
Banks 5" Tips, Leveling Kit,Dana 60 Swap, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro, Fuel Pressure
30% Windows,
post #5 of 54 Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

looks like my upcoming project. what pump did you use? i see you found it on ebay...

-Matt

Late 99 (2/99) Black F250, CC LB 4x4 Lariat 214k. All Stock for the moment...

1995 PSD, ext cab, one wheel wonder
, 297k miles, 30k on wvo. totaled 5/8/11 RIP This truck is for sale as a parts truck (Jason is about to receive forged rods, and drop kick his PMR's)
DB high torque starter
DIY 6637
Marinco Mod
DIY Electric fuel w/ wvo conversion

"A clean house is a sign of a mis-lead life."
post #6 of 54 Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The pump is a no name brand from Canada. It's been reliable but does not flow enough now for my Stage I injectors with the TW street race tune at WOT. It sets a CEL and my low fuel pressure light in the dash lights. I would probably go with a SD pump if I was to do over or this one goes out.

Update: The CEL was because of low HPO I changed out my HPOP for an Adrenalin and haven't set a CEL since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post
looks like my upcoming project. what pump did you use? i see you found it on ebay...

Last edited by joedown; 01-09-2012 at 11:24 AM.
post #7 of 54 Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedown View Post
The following is a copy of a post I did on another forum last year.

Now that winter is here I decided to park my truck in the shop to give me something to do in the evenings. I decided there was three things on my to do list. IDM mod, DIY stage Is, and to convert from mechanical to an electrical fuel system. I know that you can buy kits to do this but part of the fun is trying to gather together all the parts you need. Luckily others have done this before so I didn't have to try and figure out what regulator and filters would work. Here is the list of parts I used and the costs.

Prefilter and base - Stanadyne 33640 (thedieselstore.com) $74.64
Secondary Filter Base - (WIX): 24770 (Fleetfilter.com) $26.00
Secondary Filter - (WIX) 33528 (Fleetfilter.com) $9.00
Fuel Pump - (ebay.com) $114
Fuel Lines - Stainless steel 3/8" under turbo (local) $100
Oil pressure switch - Holley 12-810 (amazon.com) $28.00
Fuel pressure switch - (local) $25.00
Fuel regulator - Aeromotive 13109 (ebay.com) $133
Fuel hose - Parker (international dealer) $5.00
Stainless hose clamps - (home depot) $7.00
Fuel pressure guage - (harbor freight) $5.00
Brass three way connector - (harbor freight) $4.00
Fittings misc brass - (harbor freight) $13.00
Fittings - Parker (local) $37.33
Wire - (local) $5.00
Fuel pump bracket - (wrecking yard) $5.00
Misc stuff - (local) $9.00
Total - $600

The first thing I did was remove the stock filter housing and pump. The only thing I left was the fuel lines coming into the valley from the tanks.

I went to a transmission shop and had some custom made 3/8" stainless steel fuel lines to go under the turbo. These attached to the back of the head and came together with a brass three way air connector. I bent the stock lines by hand into the right positions being careful not to kink them. I did not need to cut them to make them fit.

I fabbed a bracket out of stainless steel to mount the pressure regulator to the bracket on top of the HPOP reservoir. I reused the existing flex fuel lines coming from the front of the heads into the fuel regulator.

Front view

The wire for the fuel filter restriction was plugged into the fuel pressure sensor to light the dash light if fuel pressure drops below 20lbs.

I went to the wrecking yard and got a fuse box from an F150 so that I could add another relay and fuse to my fuse box. I added the relay in the upper left corner and the large size 30amp fuse furthest to the right. All wiring was run in existing looms where possible. I wanted this whole setup to look as factory as possible.
I like your layout. I am looking at attempting to do the same but a little scared. I am sure once I see it all it will come together fine. What did you do with the return line that goes to the tank? The Primary from the tank is what you ran into your 3 way Y connector correct that then goes to the rear head fuel lines? So do I need to keep any of the existing wiring that is on the factory fuel bowl?

So the flex fuel lines coming from the front of the heads that goes into the fuel regulator did you just run the passenger side fuel line to the passenger side of the fuel regulator and the drivers side to the drivers side? Is it that simple?

My worst fears are doing the rear fuel lines going to the back of the heads and the wiring. Is it safe to cut the existing steel fuel lines that connect to the banjo bolt on the rear of the fuel pump and just connect diesel fuel hose lines to them? I mean I like you layout better but would be afraid I would not get them made to the correct length.

So is the IPR valve still used or is that deleted as well when using the fuel regulator. Sorry if these seem to be dumb questions but want to slowly try and do this build myself if I can and get rid of my factory leaking fuel bowl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Larry
The Following User Says Thank You to Freebird For This Useful Post:
joncolpron (06-19-2016)
post #8 of 54 Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
I like your layout. I am looking at attempting to do the same but a little scared. I am sure once I see it all it will come together fine. What did you do with the return line that goes to the tank? The Primary from the tank is what you ran into your 3 way Y connector correct that then goes to the rear head fuel lines? So do I need to keep any of the existing wiring that is on the factory fuel bowl?
The return line connects to the outlet of the FPR. The main line from the tank goes into the three way which splits and goes to the back of the heads. The only wire I used was the fuel filter restriction light wire to indicate low fuel pressure.

Quote:
So the flex fuel lines coming from the front of the heads that goes into the fuel regulator did you just run the passenger side fuel line to the passenger side of the fuel regulator and the drivers side to the drivers side? Is it that simple?
Yes, it is that simple.

Quote:
My worst fears are doing the rear fuel lines going to the back of the heads and the wiring. Is it safe to cut the existing steel fuel lines that connect to the banjo bolt on the rear of the fuel pump and just connect diesel fuel hose lines to them? I mean I like you layout better but would be afraid I would not get them made to the correct length.
You could do that but I wanted bigger lines. You would still need to split the incoming line into two somehow.

Quote:
So is the IPR valve still used or is that deleted as well when using the fuel regulator. Sorry if these seem to be dumb questions but want to slowly try and do this build myself if I can and get rid of my factory leaking fuel bowl.
The new FPR replaces the whole bowl and everything that connects to it.

Quote:
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Larry
Hope this helps.
[email protected] likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to joedown For This Useful Post:
Freebird (02-18-2014)
post #9 of 54 Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 AM
DERAIL MOD!!!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Great job, very clean install

What DIY stage 1's you got?

-Kris-
2000 excursion V10 2wd 230k
2000 Excursion 7.3 4x4 246k
1995 CCLB DRW 324K
2001 CCLB DRW 319K
Dp tuner infinity, exhaust, intake, chipped, tricked, and wrecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine5811
The stock downpipe in an OBS is flat because I'm a ginger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3
Finding a decent woman is like shopping for a used truck. You spend most of your time picking through the money pits, wrecks, and basket cases until you find one that you can tolerate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFLASH
Well at least you caught the loose bolts before they cause any damage. Nothing worse than a sloppy hole
post #10 of 54 Old 02-06-2014, 06:40 PM
the baconator

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
from the wiring harness you also need to reconnect the IPR. lots of people forget this and don't understand why their truck won't run

94.5 F250 Reg Cab 4x4 5 speed 4.10 276000 plus miles

97 F350 Crew Cab LB 4x4 5 speed 3.55 320000 plus miles (parts truck)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberta 7.3 View Post
YouTube: Providing idiots everywhere a podium to share their stupidity
The Following User Says Thank You to terryknight For This Useful Post:
Freebird (02-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in