Upgrading fuel system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-26-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrading fuel system

Hello everyone, yes I'm new here. But reading the forums as time goes on which has helped out some.

Anyway, I have a 1996 f250 7.3l pushing 500k miles. so far, I have upgraded the exhaust to 4", replaced the injectors with stage 1, replaced the compression wheel to a billet 7+7 blade and have a personalized T6 programmer. Even upgraded the air filter setup.

Ok, we got that out the way. What I am wanting to do it upgrade the fuel system and remove the mechanical setup all together. I do not want a fuel bowl delete. That is out of the question. So, tell me what you think.

I am wanting to add 2 fuel pumps. One low pressure right after the tank selector to feed the fuel bowl and add a high pressure after the fuel bowl to the motor. Most likely both pumps will have to be together due to room. Of course, I would have to run 2 extra lines.

What I don't know. How much pressure can I send to full force injectors? I've seen so many different numbers from 45-85.

Oh yea, this is just experimenting for the other motor when it's time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-27-2019, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Why low pressure before the fuel bowl and high pressure after?

It sounds like you want to keep your system mostly stock and only replace the pump. In that case you would need to add the high pressure pump before the fuel bowl to take advantage of the original design of the FPR attached to the side of the bowl.

On another note, how did your truck run with those mods and the mechanical fuel system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 10-27-2019, 09:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
In the case of the OP's plan, you need to keep low pressure before the fuel bowl as the OBS fuel bowl is not made to handle the high pressure (say 65 psi). As far as the OP's plan, it seems overly complex in running an LP pump lines up to the bowl, then lines from bowl back to another HP pump, and then back to the engine. JMHO though. Cheers!

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
In the case of the OP's plan, you need to keep low pressure before the fuel bowl as the OBS fuel bowl is not made to handle the high pressure (say 65 psi). As far as the OP's plan, it seems overly complex in running an LP pump lines up to the bowl, then lines from bowl back to another HP pump, and then back to the engine. JMHO though. Cheers!

Ok. I guess I donít fully understand the fuel system and what pressure everything has. I just figured since the FPR is connected to the fuel bowl then it too would have higher pressure. Is the fuel bowl under suction from the fuel pump? How exactly does the system function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 10-27-2019, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
The fuel pump is a two-stage pump. Fuel flows from the tank through the transfer valve to the low pressure stage of the pump. Then on to the filter bowl where it is filtered and sent back to the high pressure side of the pump. Then to the back of the heads into the fuel rails (and injectors). After that, out the front of the heads to the fuel pressure regulator and back to the tanks via the return line and transfer valve. There's a few more intricacies involved, but that the basic idea. Cheers!

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-30-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I must ask, why do you want to keep the stock fuel bowl? The filter in that bowl isnt the best filter for filtration, the best way is to do a bowl delete with filters and pump mounted on the frame rail, the whole system then will have filter fuel and possibly get more life out of the injectors due to cleaner fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode