LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-04-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Steamer on Inverter

Hi everyone,
I recently got a multi-cooker/steamer & plugged it in to my friend's off-grid electrical system. Friend has a 1500w inverter hooked up to his system. We blew the inverter when we plugged the steamer in. Turns out he had his freezer plugged into the inverter as well & the steamer itself is 1200w. I found that out after I dug the steamer box out of the trash later that night. Oops, had no idea a $30 appliance could be 1200w! When we tried to plug the steamer straight into his gas generator it bogged down immediately on startup so we unplugged it. He got a new inverter, but is obviously not keen on me plugging my steamer into his off-grid setup again.
That said, we still need to use this steamer off-grid. So, I was thinking about getting a heavy duty inverter & trying to run it off my 7.3L diesel "generator"
But now I'm cautious about damaging things there too: batteries, wiring, possibly the alternator or even another inverter. I've read about electrical devices like this surging up to 50% over their stated wattage on startup.
I'd like to be able to run the steamer off-grid for around 30 minutes, ideally an hour.
Any recommendations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-05-2019, 07:28 AM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 704 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
can't find a propane steamer or use a propane cook top ?

you are basically running a the equivalent of a small AC cooling unit and while his inverter should have been overload protected most inverters that can handle that wattage need a massive battery bank to keep going ( my camper has 4 batteries and an inverter that can handle the load you're dealing with but I still fire up the generator when the wife wants to blow dry her hair
lol

a decent generator may be a better answer

if you do use your truck i would imagine you would need a better alternator so you can stay at idle and an upgraded alt to batter lead and +to+ cable ( the inverter should be powered off the battery directly)

the downside is a load inefficient 7.3 generator running the whole time your steaming
Jjorgis5569 likes this.

6.0 flush pdf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply ZMANN.
Do you know of any makes & models of upgraded alternators?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 AM

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,764 Posts
Mentioned: 704 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Alternator parts.com
Mechman
DCPower
Nations
MeanGreen

to name a few off the top of my head

other may chime in

6.0 flush pdf
post #5 of 11 Old 10-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Garage
I'd look into a Leece Neville(#1), Mechman(#2), and DCPower.(#3) Look away from Mean Green, their reviews got cleaned up (deleting bad ones) but they have a poor name. Read the ones on XDP, they SUCK!

https://www.xtremediesel.com/mean-gr...lternator-7796

180/30s,KC38R, CNC Fab Stg 2 HPOP, Sump, Walbro, Donaldson 6637, Leveled, 4'' straight to 7'' tip, 08 mirrors, 6.0 front end ect...
post #6 of 11 Old 10-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gonna take 200w minimum solar panel, charge controller, 2-4 100amp hr batteries, inverter minimum for that thing. Plus enough sun 4-8hrs of good light. Other than that I would use a generator. there are some good Yamaha ones that are few hundred less than Hondas and just as good. The Hondas have a great reputation but their price shows they know about it lol. plus very fuel efficient even on low/high settings.

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

"Its like me getting five 5 gallon bucks and throwing regular, mid, premium, #2 diesel and offroad diesel and then shooting a roman candle at each one to show which ones burns better."
post #7 of 11 Old 10-18-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you ZMANN, White_Buffalo7.3, & Justin0009,
That's all very helpful info.
What are some decent battery brands & models?
I've heard a lot of good things about Interstate & Optima over the years. But will truck batteries be able to handle drain from a 1200w device for 30 minutes to an hour?
Or do I need to be looking at dedicated deep cycle batteries?
Thanks again!

post #8 of 11 Old 10-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I would get dedicated deep cycle batteries. In dealing with RV's over the years, I've never had good luck with 12V deep cycles as they almost always lasted 18 months - 24 months max before they were toast. Currently I have two Trojan 6V deep cycles in series and they've been great for probably going on 8 years. They are big and heavy though. Cheers!

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-23-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Patrick. That's very helpful. :-)

post #10 of 11 Old 10-24-2019, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,125 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
is this a steamer, like a cooker? 1200 running watts is also not the max peak to kick it off.

have you considered a campfire steamer that works off of heat?

GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
So says the internet... ...and so it shall be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8orFord View Post
OK, thanks for the info. To show my ignorance, what is the problem with 3 nipples...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alternator , battery , electrical , inverter , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode