1997 Turbo PSD Remanufactured IDM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-12-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 Turbo PSD Remanufactured IDM

New to the Forum.... Who do you guys recommend for 1997 Turbo PSD IDM re-manufacturer service? Also, shouldn't they all be asking for VIN to make sure that the reman is flashed properly to my truck???? Reading online a lot of reviews and BBB complaints and it looks like a crap shoot....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I have a swamps

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 09-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Welcome!

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM, box on the driver's side firewall down low) is the unit that gets flashed with the program for your truck. The Injector Driver Module (IDM, silver box below the driver's hood hinge) supplies the high voltage DC to fire the injectors when commanded by the PCM. Any IDM for a 1994-2003 7.3L Powerstroke will work for you. Personally, I purchased (years ago) some used IDMs off ebay for $50 each to keep in the tool box as spares. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-13-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you both of your for your quick response. I still look forward to hearing comments from other PSD owners regarding their opinion of same.

I am currently talking to Diesel Technology of Chattanooga and Swamps regarding testing of my IDM and/or ECM before purchasing anything. Below is a little history of the symptoms I am experiencing.

I have a stock 1997 F-350 Super Cab, 7.3L Turbo PSD w/ 210K miles. It was giving symptoms of bad CPS over the past 9 months. I replaced the first myself about 9 months ago when it threw a code. About a month ago it had same symptoms but no codes. I towed it to a mechanic friend (Perry) who is trying to help me out. He put in the International CPS part. It ran perfect for 25 miles then same thing, dead on road side, wouldn't run except like a bucking bronco with no power. I had a Ford CPS in the glove box so I crawled under and installed it. Same story...., Towed it back to Perry. It has two codes for bad injectors. But Perry now thinks that it is the IDM and wants to test it before buying a new one or replacing injectors.

P.S. A friend in New Orleans says bolt torque for CPS is around 8 inches (not more than finger tight.) He thinks we are just tightening the CPS bolt too tight and reducing the air gap too much. Specs I've seen suggest 18ft/Should I put it back in and retest CPS with shims and less torque? Your thoughts....
post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Way back in the day the CPS air gap was more of a big deal and they had shim kits for that purpose. Eventually the CPS became "shimless" meaning the shimming was not necessary. It is a different story if the CPS face is being wiped by the cam (cam thrust surface problems). Snug is good. If you haven't already, I would perform the wiring checks of the article in this link: Ľ TB 103: 1994-03 Ford 7.3L IDM Replacement & Diagnostics
Cheers!
post #6 of 6 Old 09-16-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your input. I will pass along to my mechanic friend who is helping with diagnosis. Hopefully he has already tried these tests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode