Replacing brake lines, any tips? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing brake lines, any tips?

Brake line going to the rear axle decided to let go just above the rear shock mount last weekend. Small rusty spot right where the plastic guide/clamp on the frame holds it. Ordered a set of stainless steel replacements from Inline Tube, $190 + shipping for every hard line on the truck. They should be here Saturday. Looks like a well made product, but we shall see, and I will let you all know!

In the mean time, has anyone done this job of replacing the lines, especially the run going to the rear? Will I have to drop any tanks, or remove any other major components? Any special procedures to follow when bleeding, I have RABS.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-26-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well, just wanted to give an update. Got the brake lines in. Needed a little massaging here and there to get the ends to perfectly match the angles and lengths of the originals, but I was satisfied with the end result.

My suggestions to anyone needed to do this job, carefully remove your originals, then lie them on the ground as close as possible to the new ones, and go over the lines from end to end, and massage the angles to match. You may have to "tighten" the coils on the lines coming off the master slightly, but no big deal. Carefully route the new lines (leave the protective caps on to keep crap from getting in), and make sure the lines enter the fittings as straight as possible. If the don't, do a little more massaging before you try to thread the nuts on. If the line is too long, find the bend with the most angle (like a big V) in the line, and carefully, without kinking it, "exaggerate" the bend to take up some length.

The new shiny stainless lines look good, and hopefully I won't have to fuss with them for a long long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to trevdalocal For This Useful Post:
broncobilly_69 (08-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode