safe speed or RPM for shifting - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intercooler also means more air to compress so you are actually losing 1-2 psi on boost.

Tunes affect timing, fuel, shift points, when fuel is added/reduced and all that depends on your mods.

From the factory these had tiny injectors with oversized turbos which is why they are under powered and live forever.
timlsalem likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlsalem View Post
QUOTE You have to introduce more fuel in some way or another. Timing and altitude play roles as well.

Now that makes sense to me. All the mod's were done to the intake, exhaust, and cooling air by use of an inner cooler but she has the stock fuel bowl and pump, although rebuilt, but still stock. Is that what the tune is for? Changing how much fuel goes in for combustion and changing timing?
Iím not sure the specific parameters of your tune, but tunes also modify boost.
I like physics and math. More boost=more heat. Itís just the nature of the beast. I will assume Banks already took into account temperature drop, flow rate, material density, volumetric efficiency, etc to design the intercooler. Two things beyond our control are ambient temperature and pressure/power loss, with the latter due to aerodynamic drag as air moves through the fins as well as changing direction moving through the cooler. (1-atmospheric pressure+boost psi/atmospheric pressure+post intercooler boost psi)*100.

I prefer towing on the stock tune, and using the tow/haul. Iím not going to win any races, but Iím confident it provides a safer environment for my 6.0, at least as much as I can control.
post #23 of 32 Old 08-15-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I know I haven't mentioned too much about the boost I am reading while towing, tuned and stock. With tunes in place, the tunes are the Edge Evolution 15000 series specifically for 7.3's from 1994.5-1997, going up the 6%, 12 mile grade I didn't get over 8 and the average was between 3 and 6 on the boost gauge and tranny 190* max @ 45 mph and 2200 rpm with ambient temp 110*. The other day taking it back to dealers, it is a gradual climb, I only hit 3 in boost with just stock setting and ambient at 100*. I hardly see any boost when I'm in tunes except when climbing, towing or not. Not towing with tunes, boost gets maybe 1 once in a while even if I gun it I usually don't see any boost except when towing. I would like to think Banks did all the research needed to build their inner cooler. I've never had one before this diesel so, I really don't know what normal operation would be with one. I don't know what would be the reason behind Ford not putting one in this first model 7.3 F series. I will still test when I go pick my trailer up and see what the numbers are in stock mode. Will update at that time.

Last edited by timlsalem; 08-15-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 Old 08-15-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
You should see at least 12 psi. What gauge are you using
post #25 of 32 Old 08-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
According to the MAP sensor in my truck and FORScan, I get about 1-1.5 PSI doing 65 on the freeway, flat road, empty truck. Is it possible you have a leaky uppipe? You should have way more boost pulling that trailer up a grade. Also, don't be afraid to take it out of overdrive, these motors, especially with the stock turbo, need revs to make power.

'96 XLT CCLB ZF5 4WD - Strictly Diesel Efuel w/RR and SD pump, Irate T4 w/366 SX-E, PIS 250/200, PHP Hydra w/Gearhead Tuning, Stage 1 Organic SB, 4" Magnaflow no muffler
post #26 of 32 Old 08-15-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White95f250 View Post
You should see at least 12 psi. What gauge are you using
I have an EGT, transmission temp. and boost "Glow Shift" gauges.
post #27 of 32 Old 08-15-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdalocal View Post
According to the MAP sensor in my truck and FORScan, I get about 1-1.5 PSI doing 65 on the freeway, flat road, empty truck. Is it possible you have a leaky uppipe? You should have way more boost pulling that trailer up a grade. Also, don't be afraid to take it out of overdrive, these motors, especially with the stock turbo, need revs to make power.
I have bellowed up pipes. How do I determine if they are leaking? I just returned from freeway test @ 70mph and I had 1 on the boost gauge and intermittent 2 occasionally. When I dropped down to my normal speed of 60 there is no boost showing.
post #28 of 32 Old 08-15-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Here are a few thumbnails of my boost tube and tubing of inner cooler. The clamp on the turbo intake (I think it's the intake) looks kind of funky to me. The rest of the clamps look to be heavy duty. You can just see the tube for my boost to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inner cooler tubes.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	721821   Click image for larger version

Name:	boost tube.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	721823   Click image for larger version

Name:	inlet with boost tube.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	721825  
post #29 of 32 Old 08-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The third picture, if that's the clamp you're referring to as funky, is normal. It's Ford's version of a v-band that is sealed internally with an o-ring. If you're showing some boost cruising on the freeway, you might be okay, but it might be worthwhile to check for boost leaks. You can purchase or borrow an intake leak tester. It's basically a cap with a pressure fitting that you put on the turbo inlet and pressurize, and check for leaks. Also, if you have bellowed uppipes, you're probably okay, but you can usually tell uppipe leaks if you see soot on the firewall.

I see you mention you have an Edge. I have no experience with one, so I don't know how well the tunes are written, perhaps someone else can chime in. The tune controls how the truck spools and builds boost through fueling quantity, timing, transmission shift points, etc. All of those things affect EGT, and if done poorly, can make a perfectly fine truck run like garbage. I also don't know if their tunes account for the various modifications you've done. I've never pulled 8300lbs up 6%, but I feel like with your modifications and the pedal to the metal, you should be able to do a little better than 40. Could be a combination of poor fueling along with poor shift strategy. These OBS turbos have a high AR (compared to the later SD turbos), which means they tend to have some "turbo lag", meaning they're not moving a lot of air at low RPM. A good tow tune will downshift earlier to keep the turbo "lit" (keeping revs and thus boost up) to keep power up and EGTs down.

Hope that's helpful!
timlsalem likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trevdalocal For This Useful Post:
timlsalem (08-16-2019)
post #30 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Steady state driving you won't see any boost except perhaps on the freeway doing 75mph you'd be at 3-5 psi. Towing or heavy acceleration as mentioned on stock tuning you should see 12-15 psi. Tuned you should see more than that.

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD 203K all original
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 253K all original
The Following User Says Thank You to greenskeeper For This Useful Post:
timlsalem (08-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode