97psd zf5 10mpg with ts chip something wrong or normal? - Page 10 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 137 Old 08-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The OBS trucks may have it in a different location, does it have a metal tube running the the exhaust manifold?

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 137 Old 08-21-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
Yes having the tube plugged up would affect your performance and MPG, I had to clean mine out a few months ago. The back pressure valve on the turbo is completely different it is controlled by the PCM to close on warm-ups. The back pressure valve and back pressure sensor are in no relation to each other.
Is there a way to clean out the pipe without removing it ?and if you rev the motor will it Blow the crap out of it

97 7.3 psd zf5 4x4 lifted on 35s
97 gmc sierra z71 5.7 vortec extra cab on 33s
post #93 of 137 Old 08-21-2018, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramstroker View Post
Is there a way to clean out the pipe without removing it ?and if you rev the motor will it Blow the crap out of it
You can try that, I removed mine.

00 f250 ext. cab, lb, 4x4, 158,000, zf 6 speed, South Bend 1944ofe, 4 in lift, 315/75/16 Courser MXTs, rear Detroit locker, PMF traction bars, Full Force 180/80 injectors, php hydra, Riff Raff frx, Riff Raff billet compressor wheel, Dieselsite pre pump kit, Dorman up pipes,IAH delete, ccv mod, 6637 filter, Auto Meter gauges, scan guage 2, 4 in diamod eye straight pipe 6 in tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 137 Old 08-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
You can pull chip without removing the PCM. Unbolt the ebrake unit and walla acess to chip. Second the coolant temp sender only is for the gauge on dash. PCM only looks at EOT (engine oil temp) for temperature. The back pressure sensor is useless on a manual transmission truck. The sensor is not used by the pcm for any fueling and timing adjustments. It is used on automatic equipped trucks as the PCM uses it to determine load for shifting adjustments.
Jack-Stand likes this.

97 4x4 Eaton supercharged 7.3, S369sxe R&D IDI performance T4 mount, my B350/200s, my tuning, honey badger SR hpop, efuel, Valair Ceramic single, BMW M3 bucket seats, SKY 5" RSK/Skyjacker TTB , SKY RFK & shackles, Toyo M/T

1948 GMC 4-53T Detroit, 1945 Chevy rat rod dually 4-51 Detroit, project mean green 8V53 Detroit, 1951 Mack A51T

Last edited by SuperchargedPSD; 08-21-2018 at 07:20 PM.
post #95 of 137 Old 08-21-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00t444e View Post
You can try that, I removed mine.
It was plugged bad. It was pretty easy to remove. Cleaning it was hard. I used weed eater line lol

post #96 of 137 Old 08-21-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedPSD View Post
You can pull chip without removing the PCM. Unbolt the ebrake unit and walla acess to chip. Second the coolant temp sender only is for the gauge on dash. PCM only looks at EOT (engine oil temp) for temperature. The back pressure sensor is useless on a manual transmission truck. The sensor is not used by the pcm for any fueling and timing adjustments. It is used on automatic equipped trucks as the PCM uses it to determine load for shifting adjustments.
I pulled the chip a long time ago and drove it around for a while it made no difference but I had one boost leak and I fix that and then help things a lot and I believe I have another one but I've got some silicone couplers coming off of eBay real soon so I'm going to try and redo every spot that is in question. They hacked up the bank's system in order to put an eBay front mount end tank intercooler. It doesn't turn in like a stock super duty intercooler would. Worst case scenario I get a super duty intercooler and I have to get some 3-inch pipe and do some welding to the existing Banks stuff that they act up this truck in general has kind of got hacked job written all over it but what I was asking was why am I exhaust control sensor is behind the top part of the motor instead of over by the pulleys. Do I have a motor that's not original for 97?

Last edited by Bramstroker; 08-22-2018 at 12:49 AM.
post #97 of 137 Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Did you ever figure out why its running cold. You probably have a stuck thermostat. I would install an motorcraft thermostat. If it runs cold oil temps will also be cold. The PCM will use the EOT to make adjustments to fueling and timing and can affect fuel economy. Get it to its running tempature and then see how the fuel economy is doing.
post #98 of 137 Old 08-22-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedPSD View Post
Did you ever figure out why its running cold. You probably have a stuck thermostat. I would install an motorcraft thermostat. If it runs cold oil temps will also be cold. The PCM will use the EOT to make adjustments to fueling and timing and can affect fuel economy. Get it to its running tempature and then see how the fuel economy is doing.
I think it's running normal temps the gauge reads wrong. It seems to make better power when it's really warm. My laser thermometer reads around 200 . Swapped out the stat with crappy 195 one. Longer one was what fit
I may have boost leaks that seal up after warm too. I have some silicone boost rated couplers coming from eBay. And I'm going to try to replace the actual dash gauge soon.i think it's defective. Still need steering column bearings. I order everything off eBay and never confirmed what fits and exactly what part numbers . So I've never ordered anything . Slowly getting caught up on things to where I can work on the truck more. Last night I got the correct passenger side tierod end and adjusting sleeve finally. And set a ruff toe in. Apparently it has f250 2wd stuff. Buti still need to figure out what poly bushings for these aftermarket 7 pack leafs in front then I can get a alignment.
We will see how truck runs tomorrow cold.

Last edited by Bramstroker; 08-22-2018 at 01:02 AM.
post #99 of 137 Old 08-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Typically things leak worse with heat because the metal expands and the cracks open up. You may have answered this already, but have you replaced your temperature sender? Just thinking a bunk sensor could be causing your "low" temps. The sender would be easier than the gauge.

Like SuperchargedPSD said, the exhaust backpressure sensor is used for shifting with the E40D. Basically the PCM takes a backpressure reading, compares it with other operating parameters and determines when and how to shift. One of the fleet mechanics that's in charge of our line trucks told me to check that sensor/tube when I asked him about my truck shifting REALLY hard. I replaced the tube, and I was right back to firm, positive shifts.

'95 Stroker
ARP Head Studs, O-Ringed Heads, Bored 0.020" over, Sticks - Baby Swamps, Driven Diesel E-Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, EBPV Delete, Non-EBPV Pedestal, Billet TC, Minor Shift Kit, 3" Down Pipe to 4" Straight

'92 XJ
Too Much To List

'66 Dodge Monaco - Under Construction
Bagged, Custom 4-Link - RuffStuff Heims, Frankensteined Front Suspension with Stock and Crown Vic Components.
post #100 of 137 Old 08-22-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Stand View Post
Typically things leak worse with heat because the metal expands and the cracks open up. You may have answered this already, but have you replaced your temperature sender? Just thinking a bunk sensor could be causing your "low" temps. The sender would be easier than the gauge.

Like SuperchargedPSD said, the exhaust backpressure sensor is used for shifting with the E40D. Basically the PCM takes a backpressure reading, compares it with other operating parameters and determines when and how to shift. One of the fleet mechanics that's in charge of our line trucks told me to check that sensor/tube when I asked him about my truck shifting REALLY hard. I replaced the tube, and I was right back to firm, positive shifts.
I measured it with an ohmmeter and it tested good but there might be some problem with the wiring or the gauge
I can't stand this to zf5 complete garbage crap box so I guess it doesn't come into play with mine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode