3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-02-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch won't disengage. No pedal travel.

The clutch, master and slave cylinders were replaced about 7k miles ago. I have had a Heim joint on it for several years and put a single mass flywheel on it about 70k miles ago. I can't see any abnormal movement in the pedal box bushings.
Recently, the clutch pedal on my truck stopped coming back all the way up on its own. It would only come up about half way. It still shifted fine so I didn't do anything right away. Several days later, the clutch stopped disengaging completely and the pedal wouldn't come up at all on its own. I replaced the master/slave with a pre-bled set. There was no change. The pedal stays on the floor unless I manually pull it up. When I do pull on the pedal, the push rod pulls out of the MC. I unhooked the slave and let it hang with the retainer clip off. Logically, I would think that I should have full, normal pedal travel with it like that. But no change in the pedal. I can manually push in the slave rod. Shouldn't that cause the master push rod to move also? It doesn't. So it seems the MC is stuck in the depressed position.

Did the original MC go bad and I happened to get a bad MC the second time? Or is there some other problem I need to look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Does the clutch still grab? From what I'm reading, it sounds like the hydraulics aren't doing what they're supposed to. One rod in should make the other rod go out. Only other thing I can think of is the pressure plate took a dump, but if the clutch still holds power, then I can't imagine that's the problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trevdalocal For This Useful Post:
Pope23 (09-03-2019)
post #3 of 15 Old 09-03-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
Yes, the clutch is still engaged and without good hydraulics, I can't disengage it. Thank you, you confirmed what I suspected. When I move one end in, the other should go out but since I didn't have a good one to test that theory on, I wasn't sure. I think the new MC happened to be bad also. I ordered another set and will return the previous one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
What type of fluid are you using in the clutch system?

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-04-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
I just install a pre-bled set, so I haven't added any fluid. On the previous one, that only has been on for about 7 k miles, I've never needed to add any. I did check and both were full. If I did need to add, I would put in DOT 3 brake fluid.
Hydro likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-06-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
I ordered and installed a 3rd MC/SC assembly and got the same result; Clutch pedal stays on the floor. I'm wondering if the throw out bearing is bad. Though everything I've read about that says that when a throw out bearing goes bad, it makes a lot of noise. I've heard no strange noses.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-06-2019, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope23 View Post
I ordered and installed a 3rd MC/SC assembly and got the same result; Clutch pedal stays on the floor. I'm wondering if the throw out bearing is bad. Though everything I've read about that says that when a throw out bearing goes bad, it makes a lot of noise. I've heard no strange noses.
Wow, that's bizzare. I haven't had to look at the clutch mechanism on my truck yet, but is it possible to look inside the bellhousing? Maybe the fork that pushes on the throwout bearing is bent somehow? Or perhaps it fell off its pivot ball inside?

Edit: Even if there was some other issue, the hydraulics should still move like normal when you manually manipulate them. Maybe you can make a quick video and show us what's happening?
Hydro likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
When you mount the slave cylinder, you should have to push the rod into the cylinder about half of it's travel

mount the master cyl in a vise and have a helper push the slave rod in and hold it -- now use a 3/8 extension to push the master cyl in -- should force the slave rod outward

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.

Last edited by Hydro; 09-07-2019 at 02:09 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-06-2019, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
The slave rod should move at least 1/2" when the clutch pedal is pushed. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with the hydraulics or pedal/linkage itself. If it is getting at least 1/2", pull the clutch fork boot off the bellhousing and see if you can notice anything amiss (TO bearing, bent fork, bad fork pivot, etc.). You might also remove the flywheel inspection cover and take a look at the pressure plate (does this truck have a Dual Mass or Single Mass flywheel?). Cheers!
post #10 of 15 Old 09-08-2019, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
The slave rod should move at least 1/2" when the clutch pedal is pushed. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with the hydraulics or pedal/linkage itself. If it is getting at least 1/2", pull the clutch fork boot off the bellhousing and see if you can notice anything amiss (TO bearing, bent fork, bad fork pivot, etc.). You might also remove the flywheel inspection cover and take a look at the pressure plate (does this truck have a Dual Mass or Single Mass flywheel?). Cheers!
The clutch pedal stays all the way on the floor with only about 1/2" of total pedal movement. If I pull up hard on the pedal, it just pulls the push rod out of the master cylinder. So I haven't been able to get the slave to move at all with the pedal.
There only seems to be very minimal movement in the pedal box bushings during pedal movement, but since I can't move the pedal while everything is is hooked up, there is no pressure to push against except what is provided by the spring.
I picked up a new fork and with a side by side comparison, I can't see that the old one was bent or more than slightly worn. But I installed the new fork just in case.
The truck has a single mass flywheel.
I have removed the flywheel cover and looked up through the clutch fork hole and don't see anything amiss but since this is all new to me, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see.
As far as I can tell, the fork is reinstalled correctly. With the retainer clip on the slave push rod, I still have to push the rod in a bit to get the slave cylinder installed.
I sure appreciate you all helping me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode