Clutch won't disengage. No pedal travel. - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 Old 09-08-2019, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hmmm.... What happens if you push the slave rod in when the pedal is on the floor? Does the master push rod come out/pedal come up? This is very bizarre. If you take the prebled set and push the two rods back and forth, does it do anything at all?

'96 XLT CCLB ZF5 4WD - Strictly Diesel Efuel w/RR and SD pump, Irate T4 w/366 SX-E, PIS 250/200, PHP Hydra w/Gearhead Tuning, Stage 1 Organic SB, 4" Magnaflow no muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 09-09-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
One thing that I had not mentioned was that the truck wouldn't start when the clutch first refused to disengage. I got to thinking about that and figured either the safety switch went bad or the push rod wasn't pushing in far enough to engage the safety switch. So today I removed the safety switch and manually compressed it while turning the key. The truck fired up. So now I'm thinking that for some reason the push rod isn't going in far enough even though the pedal is all the way down and against the rubber stop. I double checked the length of my push rod with the Heim joint on it and the one that came with the new MC and they are the same.
Is it possible for the arm that the MC push rod attaches to to have rotated on the pedal box shaft? I checked the nut at that end of the shaft and it was a little loose. I was able to tighten it maybe a quarter to half turn. Can I loosen that arm and rotate it back to where it's supposed to be and not have to remove the whole pedal box? Or should I just replace the whole pedal box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
94.5 F350 DRW 7.3L PSD 337,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 sp, 3" DP, DIY Intake, guages
post #13 of 15 Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
The arm where the oit attaches to the pedal box mainshaft is splined (the splines grooves almost get cut when the shaft is tightened down). Possibly the shaft splines or arm are damaged? They shouldn't be loose at all as you really have to pry the arm off in it's normal state. Cheers!
Pope23 likes this.

1997 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, External Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD - 1994 F350 CC DRW 2WD PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, DPPI DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer Overhead Console, A-Pillar w/ISSPRO Black Ice, EV Boost, and EV Pyro, Modified Pedestal, Gutted EBPV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 Old 09-10-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
The arm where the oit attaches to the pedal box mainshaft is splined (the splines grooves almost get cut when the shaft is tightened down). Possibly the shaft splines or arm are damaged? They shouldn't be loose at all as you really have to pry the arm off in it's normal state. Cheers!
That did it! I repositioned the control lever arm and now everything works great. Simple solution that was hard to find. Thanks for the help everybody. Obviously the nut on the bushing arm was loose enough to allow the control lever to slip. It's all tight now but I'm wondering if I should replace the pedal box and control lever to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

94.5 F350 DRW 7.3L PSD 337,000 miles

5 sp, 3" DP, DIY Intake, guages
post #15 of 15 Old 09-10-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope23 View Post
That did it! I repositioned the control lever arm and now everything works great. Simple solution that was hard to find. Thanks for the help everybody. Obviously the nut on the bushing arm was loose enough to allow the control lever to slip. It's all tight now but I'm wondering if I should replace the pedal box and control lever to ensure that it doesn't happen again.
Glad you figured it out! I didn't think of the pedal itself being the point of failure haha. Like Patrick mentioned, the pedal box shaft "cuts" splines in the pedal arm when you tighten it down, so crank it down good. Sometimes the hole in the pedal can get hogged out from it loosening up and wiggling around, like it did here. If that happens, you'll have to order a new pedal so fresh splines can be cut. You want to install the pedal with as much "slack" or free play taken out of the system as possible. More than a few ZF5s have fallen victim to not enough clutch fork travel and lack of full clutch disengagement due to worn bushings and the like, that results in worn out syncros, mine included. Thanks previous owner... Seems Ford designed the clutch with very little room for error.

'96 XLT CCLB ZF5 4WD - Strictly Diesel Efuel w/RR and SD pump, Irate T4 w/366 SX-E, PIS 250/200, PHP Hydra w/Gearhead Tuning, Stage 1 Organic SB, 4" Magnaflow no muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode