95 7.3 pad e4od hard shift - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-14-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 7.3 pad e4od hard shift

Hello all. I have a 1995 f250 7.3 ps with the e4od. I had it rebuilt a couple years agao (the tranny). It only has about 10 to 15k miles on the tranny. I don't drive it all the time, but it always works for me. But it is hard shifting now. It started by doing this once in a while, but now it does it all the time. I really don't want to have to rebuild it again. How do I diagnose this problem? Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Always start with the basics:

check the fluid for color/smell/level on dipstick.

if its brown change it, if it smells burnt change it-its a 50/50 it will help if it smells burnt though. If its low- add half a quart at a time and drive to get warm/re measure.

Tuning-does the truck has a chip/programmer in it?

if/when you change the fluid-look at it for metal

Do you have a overdrive light and does it ever flash?

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

04 Excursion Modified, 04 F350 Modified, 06 F350 Modified

Interested in learning something new?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
post #3 of 9 Old 01-14-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I didn't mention. I did check the fluid, it is up to level and looks red and clean. Also no programmer, or chip. I haven't noticed the od light flashing! I will drive it tomorrow and check it! I don't know why I didn't think of that.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-14-2019, 03:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap20 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mention. I did check the fluid, it is up to level and looks red and clean. Also no programmer, or chip. I haven't noticed the od light flashing! I will drive it tomorrow and check it! I don't know why I didn't think of that.
Thank you!
Its all good, been here too many times to count to seek advice. Also remember if you barrow a scanner. more cheapo units wont pull ford codes. So try to barrow a good unit from a buddy to see if you have any soft codes. (a diagnostic code that is there but doesn't throw a check engine light or service soon light etc)

-99 F250, 4X4, 6.0 trans cooler, 08 mirrors, 05 grill, AIS Intake, lvl kit, JW Vbody, cncfab hpop lines, WW2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Justin
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JustinOOO9 For This Useful Post:
cap20 (01-15-2019)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-15-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Ok! So I warned her up and took her for a ride. Just a pre note: I haven't taken her for a drive in a couple weeks since the hard shifting. The ride today went smooth. No hard shifting. I shut it off about 12 miles down the road. Started back up and returned. No hard shifting. No of light flashing. I put the scanner on and could not pull any codes. (Snap-on solus pro) I am not sure if this truck can give info to the scanner about the transmission?. So any ideas ? I don't want to start driving it again and it starts hard shifting when I am too far away!
post #6 of 9 Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Try adding Lube guard trans additive. Red bottle for that trans. Many trans shops recommend this additive, especially for the e4od.
I have used it for years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gs For This Useful Post:
cap20 (01-15-2019)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

I drove it again, and seems to shift fine! Not sure what would have caused the hard shifting. I went through the wiring last night to look for chafing, but couldn't find any thing. I guess I have to wait for it to happen again!
Thanks for the suggestions!
post #8 of 9 Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap20 View Post
I drove it again, and seems to shift fine! Not sure what would have caused the hard shifting. I went through the wiring last night to look for chafing, but couldn't find any thing. I guess I have to wait for it to happen again!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Could always unclip and clean wire clips and add some di electric grease to prevent moister/corrosion. You don't have led tail lights do you? There are folks having strange issues on the 7.3ls after adding led rear light because of some wire related to the transmission.

Justin
post #9 of 9 Old 04-23-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I waited so long to update!
So from what I found out from talking to a Ford tech. First off I have a couple major exhaust leaks. This in turn is not allowing the turbo to spool up. Then I have to push the motor to high rpm's to get up chills or such. The pcm is interpreting this as work mode so it tells the transmission to shift harder. Once it sits it goes back to normal. If I drove it easy it was fine. Since then I fixed the exhaust, and all is fine. Thanks all for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode