• 1 Post By bismic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-04-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 1997 F-250 7.3 - Cranks but no start

Hi Folks! I'm new to this forum, having just recently purchased my first 7.3 powerstroke diesel truck. It was running great for a few weeks, just drove it 800 miles to North Carolina and back with no issues. Yesterday though, I started it up and left it to idle and warm up in the driveway. It started up easy on the first try (had the block heater plugged in, a little chilly out), but then I heard it die about 5 minutes later. Almost sounded like it ran out of gas. At first I thought maybe it had run out of gas, but was still showing almost 1/4 tank on the rear tank. Switched it over to the front tank (also about 1/4 tank) but still wouldn't start. The starter cranks and the engine turns over, but it just won't fire up. Sounds like its just on the edge of starting but won't. I get a little bit of white smoke from the tailpipe but that's it. I've read up quite a bit on the forums and tried some trouble-shooting but I'm stuck. Any ideas?

So far I have checked/tried:

- Oil level, coolant, air filter all good
- Fuses all good
- Disconnected ICP sensor
- Batteries are nearly new and seem to be giving plenty of juice

Before I bought the truck, the previous owner recently had a bunch of work done including:

- Replaced HPOP
- Replaced HPOP pickup tube
- LPOP resealed
- Oil cooler resealed
- Replaced IPR
- Replaced EPS

What should I try next? Or should I give up and take it to my mechanic??

- Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-04-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question Part 2:

Okay...so here's an update to my previous post. I typed that up yesterday. Tonight I was able to get it to start up after disconnecting the ICP sensor and cranking it for a long while. It ran for a while but seemed to be really low on power. I was able to drive it around to the corner and fill up with fresh fuel. On the way back home I gradually lost all the rest of the power and stalled out 50 feet from my driveway. Tried disconnecting the ICP sensor again and cranking for a while, but it wouldn't start. Any ideas??? - Andy
post #3 of 8 Old 12-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like you are not getting fuel -- are the filters clean?

Mechanical lift pump on that engine, I think -- not my knowledge zone
The fuel pump may have gone out -- could remove the filter and crank over to see if fuel is pushed up

not sure on your model, but may be a valve port on the fuel bowl to check pressure with a gauge

Need some of the other guys to pop in on this @bismic

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 03:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
The fuel bowl cover must be on when cranking.

If the fuel bowl and HPOP reservoir are full after cranking and you are getting white smoke then your injectors are firing.

I would throw in a new CPS, cheap and easy to rule out.

Does the ICP connector have oil in it? Have you checked fuel pressure while cranking?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Scan for codes?

I would add 5 gallons of fuel to one tank and try it again if you don't have a good scan tool.

A CPS would be a good guess, but I hate guessing. Sure would like to see codes and ICP pressure when cranking.
Hydro likes this.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat; ARP studs; OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust; DynaTrac Ball joints; RACCCV6000; JimmiJammers; Ravelco; SynchroMax in trans case; Fumoto valves; Harpooned; Blue regulator spring; DashDAQ; PHP FICM; RiffRaff boots; DCPower 270AXP; Power Inverter; Bilstein shocks; BPD EGR cooler, radiator, water pump; SCT w/ SRL+; Rotella ELC Ultra Coolant; X2Power AGM batteries
No-start thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1211 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like either a fuel issue or a hpo issue after the truck is warm.

Install a gauge at the Schrader valve for fuel pressure, and you'll need a scanner to watch ICP and IPR numbers.

www.cncfab.us

[SIZE="3"]For all your ford powerstroke needs. If you dont see what you are looking for on the website, please use the contact page and shoot us a message or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Part numbers will help alot too if they are not on our site.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys!

The tach needle definitely goes up when I'm cranking, so from what I've read that should mean the CPS is functioning, right?

There was no oil that I could see in the ICP connections. Disconnecting the ICP didn't seem to make any difference either.

I did fill up both tanks during the brief period it was running (barely) last night. So it has fresh fuel in it.

I don't have the tools to check the fuel pressure at the bowl. Is there a simple way to see if the lift pump is getting fuel from the tanks to the engine? Could I open the drain valve, drain the bowl, then leave the drain open and see if more fuel comes out when I crank it? I'm going to pull the fuel filter out tomorrow and change it to make sure that isn't the culprit. Is there other filters to check besides the main one? I assume its not easy to get to the screens inside the fuel tanks right?

Oh - I should mention that I noticed a minor fuel leak over the last couple weeks. Just a few drips from underneath that would stop 10 minutes or so after shutting off the engine. Would leave a small puddle on the driveway. Like maybe a 1/4 cup of fuel max. It looked a bit wet in the valley but nothing else noticeable. I was suspecting the o-rings on the bowl drain valve and even ordered them but hadn't had a chance to change them out yet. Now I'm wondering if the leak could be related to the current issue. Would a failing fuel pump leak?

- Andy
post #8 of 8 Old 12-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Garage
The lift pump on the 7.3 is a dual pump system -- the low pressure side pulls from the tank and flows thru the filter to the High pressure side

So, yeah you could use the drain valve or remove the cap to check the low pressure side
but you need a gauge to check the high pressure side -- 55 psi

There are 2 weep holes on the pump to leak out fuel if the diaphragm or high pressure seals leak
may want to use a mirror or snake cam to look while the engine is running for leaks

Found this vid that explains the pump pretty well:

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode