• 1 Post By White95f250

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-21-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Valley wet with fuel

Itís time to play, Where is that fuel coming from?

I have a wet valley (with diesel) on my 97 7.3L. It was perfectly dry just two weeks ago. The only thing I did then was drain a pint from the fuel bowl to check it was clean. I checked the filter cap to ensure it was still tight. The only other thing that has changed is we have had some cooler weather around here recently.

About a year ago I replaced all the o-rings on the FPR thatís on the side of the fuel bowl. I also replaced the standard rubber fuel lines below it.

So how should I go about trouble shooting?

Thereís fuel in the area of the arrow/circle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-21-2019, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Garage
Is your fuel bowl drain tube wet or dripping? Could be the o-rings in the fuel bowl drain are allowing fuel to leak by. Something to check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Darryl | Owner/Operator
Truck | 2001 F350 7.3L CCLB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5th Wheel |

Proud US Navy Veteran | '76-'80 - Petty Officer 2nd Class (E5) - U.S.S. Point Defiance (LSD-31) - 'Gator Navy
post #3 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok. UPDATE:
I ran my truck for 15-20 min today after it was already warmed up. Looked everywhere with a mirror and flashlight. Saw no new leaks.
The only thing I saw was the rubber line going from the bottom of the fuel bowl to the metal thing in my previous picture (fuel pump?) looks to be bloated. The band clamps look like they are really cutting into it. How hard is it to replace that? Do I have to pull the fuel bowl out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
You said you removed the cap and then checked to make sure the cap on the fuel bowl was tight but by chance did you check the rubber gasket that sits under that cap? I had one leak all over after leaving the place that had changed my filter. Just a thought, they can leak if not put on right.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlsalem View Post
You said you removed the cap and then checked to make sure the cap on the fuel bowl was tight but by chance did you check the rubber gasket that sits under that cap? I had one leak all over after leaving the place that had changed my filter. Just a thought, they can leak if not put on right.

Misspoke. I didnít remove it, just checked to ensure it was tight. Also, top of fuel bowl wasnít wet. I think itís one of the original rubber fuel lines

post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Could be one of the fuel lines or the crush washers on the banjo bolt on the fuel pump.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What methods do yíall use to determine where itís coming from? Like I said, I ran it for 15 minutes and couldnít pin point a source, nor did I notice an increase in the amount of fuel in the valley.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Best bet is get in there and dry everything up real good. It's tedious but some paper towel and needle nose pliers or screw driver helps push the towel around to soak it all up.

Start it and put some ear plugs in if you'd like then watch it for a few minutes while it runs. If it's a slow leak then drive it around the block and check it while it's still running.

Front and middle of the valley point to fuel bowl and/or lines.

Back by the pump under the banjo bolt where your red circle is would point to the crush washers or the pump itself.

The banjo bolt crush washers can be found fairly cheap and can be done without removing the turbo or fuel bowl. Time consuming and semi frustrating but you'll get it.

When it comes time to remove the fuel bowl or do anything else we can walk you through it.

I can have my fuel bowl out in about 20 minutes with the amount of times i've done it. I still got a leak only when the motor is turned off. Next time mine comes out it will be E-fuel. So some of us have been through numerous leaks. Do it right the first time.
fa35jsf likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to White95f250 For This Useful Post:
fa35jsf (10-23-2019)
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I just finally got rid of all my fuel leaks on my truck. Mine was so bad it was dripping down the back of the motor steady while running. I had fuel bowl leaks, fuel line leaks and my pump was pouring out the weep hole. I did a fuel bowl delete with parts I came up with myself.

You could try drying everything up and putting paper down underneath everything to see where the drips are coming from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in