Motor surging during idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motor surging during idle

My truck is a 1994.5 and I changed my thermostat today and took it out for a drive to see if everything was sealed and checked for leaks. As I was driving, I noticed that as I pushed in the clutch the truck would rev much lower than usual. So I kept the truck driving with RPM's up (because I might as well see if all is good with the thermostat while I'm out), and brought it back home. I pulled it in the drive and took some video of it surging during idle. Now, when I got the truck it was surging just barely (maybe 50RPM, you could barely feel it, but you could feel it), but nothing like this, the truck feels like its going to die coming off of revs as I push the clutch in. What would be my plan of attack? I really don't think it has anything to do with changing the thermostat, unless it got something wet as the fluid was draining, but doubt that (just wanted to throw that out their, but if there are any ideas...please let me know). Other changes that were made to the truck was I recently fixed the EBP tube and sensor but that was weeks ago and has been driving fine since today. I just recently bought a AutoEnginuity, so I have access to that if need be.

Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have posted a video below of what it is doing below:
h t t p s ://www . youtube . com/watch?v=P77TnZHzrUE

Can't post links so made everything separate, sorry.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would like to add to the fact that after I bought the AutoEnginuity, I ran the codes on the truck and received:

P1280 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
P0236 Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Range / Performance

I did clear then and they came back after driving the truck for a while.

I did check the ICP and there is no oil in the plug (dry as a bone). Could it possibly be bad even with no oil in it? Just trying to provide the backstory of what I have done so far with the truck. Also the truck is 100% stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Garage
The ICP sensor would be my first thought -- do the pressures read at zero(or 14.8(ambient)) with the engine off? -- reading sensor output voltage would also be useful as that is what the computers actually see

Look at the ICP voltage and pressures to see if they are near the expected readings -- a bad ICP sensor can cause the engine to "hunt" as yours is doing -- if the seal is good around the internal electrical connections, the sensor can be leaking into the electric parts, and you may not see it in the plug

Disconnect the ICP sensor with the engine running/surging as a test

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
The ICP sensor would be my first thought -- do the pressures read at zero(or 14.8(ambient)) with the engine off? -- reading sensor output voltage would also be useful as that is what the computers actually see

Look at the ICP voltage and pressures to see if they are near the expected readings -- a bad ICP sensor can cause the engine to "hunt" as yours is doing -- if the seal is good around the internal electrical connections, the sensor can be leaking into the electric parts, and you may not see it in the plug

Disconnect the ICP sensor with the engine running/surging as a test
Thank you so much for you help. I hooked up the AE and added the live PIDs and took some video of KOEO and KOER, below are video of each:

KOEO
https:// youtu . be/YG2NLcLeK1M

Would like to note in the video above, is the ICP - Volts supposed to be jumping around like that with the engine off?

KOER:
https:// youtu . be/Xd9noV2n9Jc

I have also attached a log of the session but please note, it was not surging during this session. Although yesterday it wasn't surging during idle as I set off, but after about 1 minute of driving it started surging. Next I will go out and warm it up and see if I can get some recordings of it surging and post back. Is there anymore PID's I need to add or is this be sufficient? Sorry, just got the AE so still learning. Thanks again. It won't let me attach the log file, so here is a link below to my server, hopefully it works for you (separated the "." in the link):

https:// tightasamug . asuscomm . com/nextcloud/s/FXBWnAKRt8YKYwi
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting readings in the vid
Def should hold readings with engine off -- either zero(0) or ambient(14.8) depending on the software -- voltage should hold at 0.16 or near that
Possibly bad connection in the ICP sensor plug or wire chafing

Replace the ICP sensor -- if that one is original, likely needs it anyways

In my defense, I was unsupervised
2006 F250 Lariat FX4 cclb
Torque Pro and OBDLink MX bluetooth monitor
General note:
For all those wanting a premium silicone sealer Kubota 70000-73764 is the best your gonna find. This is a hybrid gray silicone that uses solvent rather than acid to start the curing reaction, this makes it safe for aluminum and and any surface that involves coolant.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just to update the thread for future reference for anyone else has this problem (I hate open ended threads). I replaced the ICP and the idle has not surged since. I haven't driven it to much because my flywheel is going out and don't want to be stuck on the side of the road. But I have driven it short distances and idling it in the driveway and the problem has not come back since. Thanks Hydro for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in