Terrible Mileage with 7.3 IDI w/ turbo - WHY? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 06-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The extra power I get out of the Hydrogen was an added bonus I had not counted on, it is substantial. I pull a 40' flat bed with this truck and empty I wiegh 16,000lbs., I can top hills really close to the same speeds as my '08 6.4 and get 9-10 where my 6.4 gets 3-6. The engine runs much smoother with hydrogen too, really shakes without it. I have no complaints, and it has been running on it over a year! I think it all depends on how much hydrogen your generator produces, mine is big and it puts out quite a bit of gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

What makes a legitimate or fake kit?
DIfferent grades of steel?
The issue I have is no legitimate company is behind this. If Ford made a kit I would buy that but since they dont and so many companies seem shady I would like a link to a reputeable company that someone on this forum has dealt with. I have seen the homeade kits and they just look so ... Homeade
thanks,
lucas
post #13 of 17 Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashbro1 View Post
What makes a legitimate or fake kit?
DIfferent grades of steel?
The issue I have is no legitimate company is behind this. If Ford made a kit I would buy that but since they dont and so many companies seem shady I would like a link to a reputeable company that someone on this forum has dealt with. I have seen the homeade kits and they just look so ... Homeade
thanks,
lucas
Take a look at HydrogenHybridcorp,com, they look pretty good, but very expensive. A lot of people are skeptical, so was I, but I just took a chance and it has turned my truck into a fast, pullin, 20 plus mpg truck! I don't blame you for being skeptical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 03:58 AM

I know you have all heard it about the hydrogen kits doing this and that..but the guy that rebuilt my engine builds huge Hydrogen Generators for big rigs and has told me he would refund any money if it didn't show an (noticable) increase in mileage.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 01:16 PM

look at your injection pump. i have a 7.3L idi and its lifted 6'' and 35'' tires usually get about 15 mpg in the mountains or back roads and 17-18 highway but then everything droped about 4 mpg and my lines on my pump were loose and leaking fuel so you need to check that.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-26-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I had the fuel filter replaced and that did make a difference. Last tank got me around 13-14. But my mechanic said I was still running stock exhaust which the previous owner said was aftermarket(figure) all he did was remove the cat it looked like and welded a piece in.

Everything I have found points to the fact that after you add the turbo to the IDI system you should increase muffler diameter to at least 4" from turbo back. I will hopefully get that done within the next month and report back.

thanks for the ideas so far.

p.s. My mechanic also said the turbo is in great shape, no blow-by, and my fuel pump is at the right level.

Dozer
post #17 of 17 Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 PM

No IDI's ever had a cat, but they came with a 2/12" exhaust. I put a Banks 3" down pipe and a 31/2" straight on my '94 Factory Turbo and it made a huge diff., my EGT's went way down and I had more power, seems to be a big enough exhaust for mine. You will have to really work the firewall over to get a 4" down pipe in it, I had to really change mine to get a 3" in it. I would go 3" and then up to 31/2" or 4", it will be much easier. Your truck probably already has a 3" down pipe, the factory turbos had a terrible flattened out down pipe that only had about a 1/2" of flow at one point, yours is probably better. Good luck, let me know if I can help you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode