should i swap? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 Old 01-16-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 04mach1
whast the weak point in that motor?
how strong are the stock parts?
how much power cna i make from that longblock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 PM

How deep are your pockets. If it's built to the hilt you can make over 600 ponies. You sound mechanically inclined so I am sure you can figure out the wiring harness. By far the electronics would be the hard part. Stg1 injectors, intercooler, and tranny upgrades with good programming would make for a stout work truck and great DD. JMHO
post #13 of 19 Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 PM

i know the trans are the same , i think the flywheel and clutch is different
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 05-09-2007, 09:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to jngreen
Im with Marty. Sounds like a great candidate for a cummins swap.

What tranny you got? Sounds like you have the zf5 speed..... They make adapters for those but they are pricey. By the time you build you build a powerstroke, you could have saved money by swappin in a 12 valve and throw in a 200 dollar set of marine injectors and remove the torque plate on the pump to make one heck of a smokin runner for cheap.....
post #15 of 19 Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 AM

I have messed with a lot of vehicles in my time, you are money and time ahead in the end selling what you don't want and buying what you do than trying to make something you don't like into something you want. Otherwise buy a wastegated turbo form Banks or ATS for $2500 and keep the IDI, they can be great motors.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
corect me if im wrong here but i believe the 95's are obd1 instead of OBD2 and so that swap isnt going to give youi the advantage of a tuner or any thing plus you would probly be best off to get a compleate donor pickup so you know exactly where all the wires came from and where they go instead of looking at some mangled spider web in a card board box that the guy at the junk yard thinks will work for your truck quite personaly i would sell the idi truck you can get about 4 grand out of it and you can get a higher milage powerstroke for around 6-7 grand these days if you can do the swap and make it work for under 3 grand youd have it made but personaly i think that buying a power stroke would be the eiasier and more cost efficient way to go

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
---------------------------------------------------
The People of a free country should not be scared of their government, the government should be scared of their people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 19 Old 07-17-2007, 01:09 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
oh i forgot to mention theoreticly the manifolds, up pipes, turbo, and down pipe from a powerstroke should be a bolt up to your motor you might have to do some fabricating but i saw a 6.9 with the fatory turbo set up off a PS with the injection pump turned up and it was pretty mean

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
---------------------------------------------------
The People of a free country should not be scared of their government, the government should be scared of their people.

post #18 of 19 Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 AM

7.3 PS

I saw that someone mentioned that 7.3 PS usually bring around 3 grand.

I have a '99 powerstroke from a van 175K miles no intercooler, harness comes with it. IDM and EEC. Radiator. flexplate. airbox. It appears to have a leaking rear main seal, and it sputters on hard acceleration (i think its a plugged fuel filter or lift pump) I bought this to put in my '89 F-250, but i don't have the time to figure out the electrical. I'm asking $1500 FOB Penn Yan, NY 14527.

let me know if you want pictures/ more details.

thanks,
Peter
post #19 of 19 Old 07-31-2007, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to 04mach1
could you send some pics and info to [email protected]
thanks
jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode