How To Modify The 7.3 IDI - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 Old 12-26-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
REMEMBER...

A 9 second ANYTHING will cost some major cash. There are 2-3 p-pumped powerstroke 7.3's out there. Rumors state that they are 15-1800hp.

While that's all well and good, they are no longer powerstrokes in my book.

If I had a 7.3 idi, I would turbo it and leave it at that. I would start sinking money into the truck itself and leave the engine alone. I've started to do the same thing to my truck..
10-4 on 9sec costing major cash! I don't think I'd go as far as trying to push 9sec out of it, but I would definitley look into a turbo. I've read an article on a p-pumped rig & it was absolutely astounding. It started off as a HUEI PowerStroke & got the ol' p-pump with a cutom intake fabricated by the owner. I'm sure whoever reads diesel mags knows exactly what I'm talking about(Stroked Out)! Anyway, like I said; I'm going with your advice & just stopping @ the turbo with the IDI. I really want to modify Heavy as much as I possibly can before I dig into the Tank. Plus, if Heavy ever breaks down from my skilled mechanical ability(), I'm really going to need something to tow 'er back to HQ. What are some secrets I need to know about the IDI. I just did a serp belt today & boy did that suck! The IDIs I used to work on had standard belt tensioners that worked with either a 1/2 breaker bar fitting or socket. This one has a piston that I had to move with a pry bar & man, that was a pain in the arse! The more I inspect this truck, the less of an idiot I think the guy that sold it to me is. He just didn't seem to know anything about diesels or anything automotive. But I did find the oil was clean & up to level, the left rear shackle & hanger had been recently replaced, new fuel filter, & all the lights work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 12-26-2008, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rtmerck46
another thing to check is the oil cooler those are known for having the o rings go bad on them i jus did mine over the summer isnt too too hard jus a PITA getting it in and out

1999 F250 CC SB 4x4 Zf6 swap Kentucky clutch ceramic DD, php hydra, 3" all suspension lift on 37s, CNC Fab 4 line feed, Dieselsite 66mm wicked wheel.
1989 F350 CC LB 4X4 N/A 7.3l IDI zf5 swapped and rebuilt engine. sold[/B]
post #23 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 PM

My '94 IDI with the factory turbo is pretty amazing to me. I have over 300,000 miles and it is a pulling sucker!!!! I turned it up, replaced exaust from the turbo back, got a Hypermax intake, a K&N air filter, and I built a Hydrogen unit for it. I pull a 40' flatbed with it grossing over 30,000lbs and it pulls great! It pulls within 5-10mph of my stock 6.4, but it gets 10-12 where the 6.4 gets 6-8mpg. These engines have great low-end torque!! I have had a blast working with my two old 7.3's and love driving them, I am sure you will enjoy yours too! A turbo will make a HUGE difference, do this first, I have been impressed with the Banks turbos for these trucks too! Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokes only View Post
My '94 IDI with the factory turbo is pretty amazing to me. I have over 300,000 miles and it is a pulling sucker!!!! I turned it up, replaced exaust from the turbo back, got a Hypermax intake, a K&N air filter, and I built a Hydrogen unit for it. I pull a 40' flatbed with it grossing over 30,000lbs and it pulls great! It pulls within 5-10mph of my stock 6.4, but it gets 10-12 where the 6.4 gets 6-8mpg. These engines have great low-end torque!! I have had a blast working with my two old 7.3's and love driving them, I am sure you will enjoy yours too! A turbo will make a HUGE difference, do this first, I have been impressed with the Banks turbos for these trucks too! Good luck.
I still can't get over the fact Banks makes a turbo kit for it. I do love that truck. Besides it needing 4 new shocks, it's getting excellent MPGs & it shifts so much smoother than my '01!
post #25 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Emergency Services

IDI

Banks isn't a real popular name with the Powerstroke crowd, but I have the Banks sidewinder on my 92 and it is the best money I have spent on that truck hands down. The power difference is unbelievable. The only other thing I would suggest is a intercooler. Just get a stock one out of a superduty someone has upgraded and do the plumbing yourself. It made a big difference on my truck.

1999.5 F350
4" Straight Pipe / Gauges (Pyro, Boost)
Wicked Wheel / Wg delete / Boost fooler
Tymar intake / Zoodad Mod / NChornet CCV mod
Hpx Crossover / Fuel CCK / ITP prepump tank mod
FPR Shim w/ underhood gauge
AIH Delete / Non Ebpv pedestal w/ valve delete
TW 6 position chip (will never own another canned toon)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.73's / 6 speed manual 4x4
Still messin with it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to rtmerck46
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokes only View Post
My uncles 88 has over 500,000 miles on it and he has owned it since day onew and he still hauls with it and he prefers it over his 06 6.0l

1999 F250 CC SB 4x4 Zf6 swap Kentucky clutch ceramic DD, php hydra, 3" all suspension lift on 37s, CNC Fab 4 line feed, Dieselsite 66mm wicked wheel.
1989 F350 CC LB 4X4 N/A 7.3l IDI zf5 swapped and rebuilt engine. sold[/B]
post #27 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke4life View Post
My uncles 88 has over 500,000 miles on it and he has owned it since day onew and he still hauls with it and he prefers it over his 06 6.0l
Same thing with my truck. It was originally my grandfathers truck which he bought new back in 85'. It has lower milage than that though, its just coming up on 130,000 miles . He has a 97 Dodge 2500 cummins, and used the Ford more than that truck, and has told me the Ford was without a doubt the best/most like vehicle he has ever owned.
post #28 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Cynic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoguy View Post
Banks isn't a real popular name with the Powerstroke crowd, but I have the Banks sidewinder on my 92 and it is the best money I have spent on that truck hands down. The power difference is unbelievable. The only other thing I would suggest is a intercooler. Just get a stock one out of a superduty someone has upgraded and do the plumbing yourself. It made a big difference on my truck.

Banks + IDI = awesome reliable power

Banks + powerstroke = F'n

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Voluntary Banishment: Knowing when to leave.
Total Diesel Performance\Unlimited Diesel Performance\Diesel Innovations\BTS\Terminator Engineering\Swamp's Diesel Performance\Black Widow Diesel\Calvert Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode