How To Modify The 7.3 IDI - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 Old 12-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Cynic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I heard that it was sleeved, but I can't find any proof that they brought it down to 420ci (6.9).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Voluntary Banishment: Knowing when to leave.
Total Diesel Performance\Unlimited Diesel Performance\Diesel Innovations\BTS\Terminator Engineering\Swamp's Diesel Performance\Black Widow Diesel\Calvert Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 12-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rtmerck46
heres where i got my info 800hp 7.3 turbo'd idi - Page 2 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

1999 F250 CC SB 4x4 Zf6 swap Kentucky clutch ceramic DD, php hydra, 3" all suspension lift on 37s, CNC Fab 4 line feed, Dieselsite 66mm wicked wheel.
1989 F350 CC LB 4X4 N/A 7.3l IDI zf5 swapped and rebuilt engine. sold[/B]
post #13 of 28 Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
I'm sorry. Not a 10sec idi, apparently it's in the 9's.

All credit goes to Saber123316

Apparently...

according to various sources Max Legold created the first 9 second diesel pickup out of a IDI 7.3 back in the early 90's.

so...

Putting my investigative work to the test I e-mailed Hypermax.

I got this:

Re: indirect injection 9 second diesel from the early 90's‏
Sent: December 5, 2008 4:44:29 PM
To: Jordan

We did build a coupleAll the info was given in the article it was an inline pump with 2 turbos Thanks

------Original Message------From:
Jordan Greenling
To: [email protected]
Sent: Dec 5, 2008 10:00 AM
Subject: indirect injection 9 second diesel from the early 90's

In a diesel world article it said that Max Legold (sorry if I don't have the correct spelling) built a hotrod Diesel truck that made huge power and did 9 second passes the engine was orginally ment for sled pulling but got banned and then became a drag racing vehicle. I just wanted to know if this was correct and if I could get information on it.

So it was P-pump twin turbo 7.3 IDI.

putting the investigative work a little further... I found pictures.
This made my year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 Old 12-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

psd

we have moded injector pump for you and turbo kits.
Welcome to Outlaw Diesel :: Home
post #15 of 28 Old 12-24-2008, 07:17 AM

Garage
flyin hawaiian what makes it a "high performance" injector pump

1999 F250 CC SB 4x4 Zf6 swap Kentucky clutch ceramic DD, php hydra, 3" all suspension lift on 37s, CNC Fab 4 line feed, Dieselsite 66mm wicked wheel.
post #16 of 28 Old 12-25-2008, 09:08 PM

Really depends on how much coin you want to drop.

The turbo is a great investment, it doesnt give you much power though. What it does do is is provide more air in the form of boost so that you can turn your pump up for more fuel (the fuel is what gives you the power), and lets you run longer WOT without EGT's getting crazy high.

The first thing to do is make sure that its running good. Good injectors, IP, proper timing, and all the fuel lines in good shape is a good investment. Unless your going for crazy high horsepower dont get fooled into DPS injectors, they grind the tip off so they flow a lot of fuel but it doesnt atomize so fuel economy goes way down. High performance pumps are out there, they are a little on the rare side though. They can mess with the internals to make them flow more and what not. I would stick with regualar BB or G code injectors (Regular N/A and turbo IDI injectors, respectivly).

Then we can get into a little more power. Take the pistons and have them shaved down to reduce compression some. You cant go to much though, I forget the spec on how much you can go without them getting to thin. That'll reduce the compression ratio so you can run more boost. You would need to do a custom turbo setup, either mess with the housings on a turbo designed for an IDI, or a twin turbo setup (I like sequential turbo's, like what the 6.4 PSD uses), or something along those lines. Of course while shaving the pistons I would balance all the internals and have everything gone through. Clean the heads and exhaust manifolds up, and use ARP studs everywhere (heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, ect...ect...). Then you would need a custom pump, find an old sled puller and see what they know, back in the day they knew a lot of things they could do to squeeze every ounce of fuel they possibly could out of a Stanadyne DB2 pump. Run the timing more advanced. I would shy away from injectables, I just dont like them (like water/meth, propane, nos). Regrind the cam.

Basically its all dependent on how much you wanna spend.

Yup, that is what the rumor is, first diesel into the 9's. They had to use rubber freeze plugs because if they used normal ones they would bend because the block would actually flex when pulling. All back in the day before P-pumped cummins, electronics, ball bearing turbo's, ect
post #17 of 28 Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
I'm sorry. Not a 10sec idi, apparently it's in the 9's.

All credit goes to Saber123316

Apparently...

according to various sources Max Legold created the first 9 second diesel pickup out of a IDI 7.3 back in the early 90's.

so...

Putting my investigative work to the test I e-mailed Hypermax.

I got this:

Re: indirect injection 9 second diesel from the early 90's‏
Sent: December 5, 2008 4:44:29 PM
To: Jordan

We did build a coupleAll the info was given in the article it was an inline pump with 2 turbos Thanks

------Original Message------From:
Jordan Greenling
To: [email protected]
Sent: Dec 5, 2008 10:00 AM
Subject: indirect injection 9 second diesel from the early 90's

In a diesel world article it said that Max Legold (sorry if I don't have the correct spelling) built a hotrod Diesel truck that made huge power and did 9 second passes the engine was orginally ment for sled pulling but got banned and then became a drag racing vehicle. I just wanted to know if this was correct and if I could get information on it.

So it was P-pump twin turbo 7.3 IDI.

putting the investigative work a little further... I found pictures.
Nice work Dirk!!!!!! You need to let one of thoughs guys at Diesel Power Magazine know what you have found, he is looking for this info., he is partial to the old 6.9's and 7.3's as I am also! My two old 7.3's are still running like champs, just have some torque convertor problems on the '94. I am still running a Hydrogen unit on it and it runs amazing with it, last month I came back from NM to AZ with five horses and got 12.5mpg, one more thing a guy can do to an IDI!!!
post #18 of 28 Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread in a while, but WOW! I wanted to sit back for a little bit & see what kind of info popped up on this thread before I responded again, & boy lemme tell you: I had no clue so much was available for the IDI. It's unbelievable! I would've been happy just having it as a fixer-upper/daily driver, but now I'm like a shark that got it's 1st taste of blood & wants more! Everyone's info on this thread has been more than helpful & very educational. I've looked @ all the links provided for the IDI on this thread & now I'm nothing short of amazed. A 9sec IDI---I would've never imagined. When I 1st started working on IDIs over 7yrs. ago, I thought the only purpose they'd serve would be a drone for work. Now, I see the possibilities are endless. The one thing I really like about the IDI compared to my '01 is it's simplicity in design. It's mostly mechanical compared to Heavy's computer controlled....well....everything! As young as I am & the generation I started off with working on diesels from age 20, I can understand the older, mechanical side of things, where with the PowerStrokes, I'm still just dipping my feet in the water. I really appreciate everyone's tips, advice, links, & support on this thread! I'm falling more & more in love with my IDI almost as much as I love Heavy! Thanks, again guys!
post #19 of 28 Old 12-26-2008, 01:50 PM

Garage
no probolem jus tryin to hope you out i jus rememberr how much of a time i had tryin to find out the most bought my truck and im only 17 it might not be the fastest thing but i sure love mine

post #20 of 28 Old 12-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Cynic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
REMEMBER...

A 9 second ANYTHING will cost some major cash. There are 2-3 p-pumped powerstroke 7.3's out there. Rumors state that they are 15-1800hp.

While that's all well and good, they are no longer powerstrokes in my book.

If I had a 7.3 idi, I would turbo it and leave it at that. I would start sinking money into the truck itself and leave the engine alone. I've started to do the same thing to my truck..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Voluntary Banishment: Knowing when to leave.
Total Diesel Performance\Unlimited Diesel Performance\Diesel Innovations\BTS\Terminator Engineering\Swamp's Diesel Performance\Black Widow Diesel\Calvert Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode