Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3l-idi-non-powerstroke-diesels/)
-   -   differences between ford and international 7.3 (https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3l-idi-non-powerstroke-diesels/46309-differences-between-ford-international-7-3-a.html)

rorabeck 04-02-2008 03:49 PM

differences between ford and international 7.3

I have added a new truck to the fleet. I just purchased a 90 international 4600 with the 7.3L idi. Compared to the Ford 7.3 the engine is identical except for some of the acessoies on the pullies. The IHC seems to be more throughty sound with a grr to it. Both have different sounding motors! Any thoughts?

[email protected] 04-02-2008 04:05 PM

Well, if it were a power stroke I'd say the difference is the timing.

I know that a Ford CPS and an International CPS makes my truck sound different. It could be the sme with the IDI's. It's like a 2* difference or something like that.

Tikal 04-02-2008 04:19 PM

Hmm....is it true the 2 diff brand CPS's sound different... Maybe that could be a little HP gain with the right tuning?

I've also heard not to run an IH CPS in our PSD's though....can't remember why

[email protected] 04-02-2008 04:26 PM

I know one will retard your timing, I have run the IH in my truck with no ill effects, and at the time I bought it, it was alot cheaper then the Ford CPS.

But this is on a PSD, I don't know about the IDI.

Right now I have the one Ford is giving out in the recall. It looks like the International one it replaced, and the engine runs the same. At least by sound.

benwill1 04-03-2008 06:40 PM

The idi does not have a cps. The pump timming can be changed. From expirence, a Little timming change will make TONS of differance in sound and performance.

rorabeck 04-06-2008 07:39 PM

thanks for the replys !

rtmerck46 04-19-2008 05:25 PM

could you help me out on tuning my pump to make more power or atleast give me an idea on what to do.

benwill1 04-20-2008 11:39 PM

Davard 05-16-2009 05:18 PM

How about differences in HP ratings. Looking over the shoulder at the IH truck dealer, my truck ('88 S1600, ex-Uhaul) is only rated at 130hp and 273 ft.lbs of torque... and it feels like it. I had heard that Uhaul detuned it a bit, but even the normal IH should be around 155hp.

Do you suppose that the main difference is that the fuel pump is severely retarded? It certainly isn't intake or exhaust (2.75" pipes from each manifold to the muffler and 4" tailpipe).

After I get new exhaust manifolds, the next mod is a pyrometer, so I can actually see, but just curious if anyone knew anything here.

elibenson 05-16-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davard (Post 1204519)
How about differences in HP ratings. Looking over the shoulder at the IH truck dealer, my truck ('88 S1600, ex-Uhaul) is only rated at 130hp and 273 ft.lbs of torque... and it feels like it. I had heard that Uhaul detuned it a bit, but even the normal IH should be around 155hp.

Do you suppose that the main difference is that the fuel pump is severely retarded? It certainly isn't intake or exhaust (2.75" pipes from each manifold to the muffler and 4" tailpipe).

After I get new exhaust manifolds, the next mod is a pyrometer, so I can actually see, but just curious if anyone knew anything here.

I have an '89 S1600 with the 7.3idi in it. Mine makes 180 from what I read on the valve cover. I would say turn the pump up and mess with the timing some and see what happens..