Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

dunno? still won't start

847 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  viper5 
#1 ·
so every glowplug, the relay, and the controller has been replaced and my truck still won't start unless its plugged in. I have done the fuel filter and i am out of ideas on whats wrong. Any ideas? thanks guys

#2 ·
:ford:Is this problem only when it's really cold 25 or less, and when it starts while it's plugged in does it smoke and run rough at first? The last time I had this problem was with a 92, it was the cold start advance in the injection pump wasn't working. Also how long have you had it? If you haven't had it in the cold weather before you have to hold the throttle to the floor while you crank the engine when it get cold out. In the warm weather thay will just start up without holding down on the throttle

#3 ·
well, it doesnt like starting in the garage either, where its like 50, but during the summer it has been working fine so i dunno. I have had it since summer. Playing with the throttle doesnt seem to help much, but as soon as it starts running on a few cylinders i keep some gas into it to keep it going.

#5 ·
:ford:The cold start advance is in the pump itself, I'd just change out the pump. I find that old ambulance's in the junk yard are a good sorce for pumps. And if you pump the throttle while trying to sart I can make it harder to start, just hold it down. Also if the engine isn't cranking at 100 rpm's it wont fire (the heat from compression will be lost to the cold engine before the fuel has a chance to fire) I would look into the batteries, connections, starter, ect before the pump. When you plug it in the oil it thinner so it will crank faster & the engine itself will be warmer so there will be less heat lost to the cold metel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.