turning up the pump.... - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 Old 11-08-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to 04mach1
i no i need a EGT..

can anyone verify the keep it under 1250 and runs over 1300 to a minimum statement..

want to make sure before i blow it up..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 11-10-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04mach1 View Post
hey guys i was reading in a different thread that if you turn up the pump its unreal the difference it makes...
well im ready to take the plunge.

BUT
i have a couple questions.
what should my EGT's be 100% stock??
what should my EGT's stay under??

and can i turn it up IF i plan on adding a hypermax turbo kit in the near future? or no should i just wait to add the kit?
once the kit is on can i tweak it some with the pump??

THANKS!!!!
Hey there, we have had quite a few of these old diesels and they are great! I have an '89 7.3 right now with almost 300,000 hard trailer pulling miles on it and it still runs great and the pump is turned way up!!!!!! I did it myself, not real hard but a little tricky lineing up the adjustment screw with the openig that you take the little triangle cover off of with the rubber gasket behind it. First take out the two bolts on this inspection cover on the passenger side of the injector pump, you will have to remove the throttle linkage and just move it over to the side. The gasket will probably not seal again and I have found that this new ultra low diesel will eat this gasket in about a week, so I got a piece of gray gasket material from Napa and I havent had any trouble since. Once you have it off you may need a mirror and a light to see if the adjuster screw is lined up with this inspection cover and chances are it isnt. If it isnt you will need to turn the engine with the fan until it lines up, oh yea be ready for some diesel when you take the cover off. I turned it up a full turn but my pump is pretty worn out and it really smokes but it will get it on for not having a turbo! It will be really stiff to turn because it is working against a spring, but it will turn. You dont want to tighten the two little bolts on the cover too much when you are done, I twisted one off in it and had to take whole pump off to fix, not too fun. You can also turn the timing up by loosening the bolts on the pump and turning it about 5 degrees maybe a little more. You can also cut the bowl off the air cleaner lid and get even more air flow. Mine has a 4 inch exhaust with a semi muffler. I also put a mechanical temp gauge on it because it is going to heat up more now. You really need to watch it and be careful, I wouldnt turn it up too much if you put a turbo on it your EGTs will go through the roof! I like these old diesels, they are reliable and they have instant throttle response with incredible low end torque( my '08 6.4 can't compare in the low end power to my '89). I am getting ready to buy one more, they make great ranch trucks for us, economical and great mountain 4x4's. We always turned ours up but you can shorten the life of the engine doing it too. I have also found that a Banks turbo feels the best on them, ATS being the weakest. Good luck and let me know if I can help!
Fletcher
post #13 of 13 Old 11-10-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to 04mach1
wow THANKS for that information!!!

so you dont use a EGT gauge at all???

can you please take a pic of your air cleaner mod?
also which way do i turn the pump for the 5 degrees of timing??
thanks!!!!

jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode